• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Blood in droppings...

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
So I had Kimi out today on a little tree playstand, and when he pooped, I noiced red in it. :(

This just further makes me wonder about the possibility that he is suffering from some sort of metal poisoning....

I moved his appointment from Wednesday to today at the vet in light of this discovery today.

Not going to lie, I am on the verge of a breakdown... I just am loosing any hope that he will recover and be normal.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
NEVER GIVE UP :hug8: i have a friend who got an 8 yr old scarlet macaw who was blind. after NUMEROUS vet visits it comes out she may be pdd positve, she's blind AND deaf, and she's 20+yrs old. (among other issues i wont go into). now, a bit under a month later, she's finally gaining weight and confidence. and may not have pdd after all.

there's ALWAYS hope. best of luck at the vets office.

prepare for the worst, hope for the best. that's my motto. :hug8: :hug8:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Thanks. I'm just so scared. He is such a sweetheart. Has such a cute voice. :)

As embarrassing as this is, I'm in the kitchen crying over this. BecUse I just don't know. And then thinking about why I do this to myself. But he would have died at the other house. BecUse she ensured me he was healthy and always has been. I knew better, but I didn't think it would end up being this bad.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
ah we all have our moments where life simply overwhelms. its part of being a human. you vent. you do your best. and you hope with all your heart.

when i took my caleb to the vet for the first time (he's a self mutilator) she told me 'we will do what we can. but in the end we may not be able to cure him. but we'll give it our best.' that was two years ago. he still has a bare chest and a thumbprint sized wound on his chest. we havent cured him yet, but we dont give up.

just give him the love he deserves and do what you can. that's all anyone can do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I love hearing stories about seemingly "doomed" birds make a wonderful recovery. This is so hard.

Oh, his poop does have a pretty awful smell to it, too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Many of us on this forum are too familiar with what you are feeling right now. Also, many of us have had a bird without hope and managed through good vets, perseverance and determination kept them alive. You may be astounded just how hard your bird will fight for life and you can do no less.

I had my Hank for 15 years after he was supposed to die - I will never regret the sorrow, money and effort invested into keeping him alive that long. Hank was a warrior when it came to staying alive and he was the great love of my life.

Last edited:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
:hug8: Don't be embarrassed...I have shed many tears over my birds. Good thoughts ad well wishes for you and Kiwi.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Thank you all so much. This bird had only been with me for two weeks and he has already carved a special place in my heart. Its absolutely terrible to see him, or any animal, suffer like this.

He loves when you talk to him, and to be picked up. It sucks, because i am afraid to even go near him for fear that whatever he has will get to my other bird. I wear gloves to clean his cage, different shirts when i his room, and wash my hands after everything i touch that he has had contact with.

My other parrot knows something is wrong. He has been even more entertaining than ever. Today he cracked me up by telling his food "hello" and to "come here" right before he picked it up to eat. :). I am deathly afraid for him right now.

So i am at a crossroads, and feel completely helpless. The last time i felt like this was with kalani, my first blue front amazon. She developed a cyst that got out of control, and the vet has to surgically remove it. She never woke up from surgery. :'(. I had her for nine years, and that was a devastating phone call. To this day, i cannot look at a photo of her or talk about her without shedding a tear. And now i am back at that place. It sucks so bad. Thank you all for listening, and for the stories and kind words. It does help, even though i feel as if this will not get better.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Blood in poop is never normal as you know. But did he eat anything red before the red poop - strawberries, raspberries, red pellets, etc.? It can sometimes be caused by red food. I hope it goes well at the vet and it is nothing serious. :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh, and the smell could be yeast which is fairly easy to treat with apple cider vinegar (with the mother in it, eg. Bragg's) added to water.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
He does eat colored pellets, but this is different. And I've stopped giving him fruit via the vet's orders last week. He has a mild crop infection that's he's been in antibiotics for and the vet said sugar can irritate it. It's watery, and the red spots looks like when you have a cut, and it bleeds. So I'm pretty positive it's blood. :(

Thanks for the suggestion about yeast. I'll have them check him for that, too.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope Kiwi's appointment shows nothing serious. :hug8:

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Have the vet take a full body Xray because I personally know of two birds that had blood in their urine and it was nothing but overly large gonads from a bad light schedule (which is easily corrected). Probiotics and ACV are always good and never hurt...

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: I wish the best for you and Kimi.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
How is lil' Kiwi?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We are all here for your support and comfort the cyber way. :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just saw this now!! I am so sorry that your going through this. I know he will be better! Has your vet recommended probiotics? It wouldn't hurt to give that to him as well.

Stay strong and remember, we are always here for you! :hug9: