• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blood feathers

Emmalyn

Moving in
Real Name
Emmalyn
Hi all! I am still learning a lot about having a bird..
I've had my cockatiel over a year and a half now and had only experienced a broken blood feather once. I recently went on a weekend trip and had my mom and boyfriend care for my bird. Before leaving, I had his wing feathers clipped so that he wouldn't fly away from my boyfriend when going back into the cage (he really only obeys me with bedtime and all..) His wings usually are clipped, so this wasn't anything new. He is also molting..
Anyways, I got back today and found a few drops of blood on my floor by his cage and saw a dried up broken blood feather.
He seems fine and unbothered by it, is his usual self-but is there anything I should be worried about even though it dried up and stopped on its own?
Previously, the broken feather that happened a while ago dried up on its own and fell out a few months later and never reopened..
I have read a while back to pull out the feather, but I am in no way comfortable with doing that and I don't really agree with that since I heard its like pulling a finger nail for them. I'd rather let it fall out naturally if thats possible.
What is recommended? Or is he okay?

Emmalyn

Moving in
Real Name
Emmalyn
Oops! Update:
Just saw it was a feather that was empty but was still one that bleeds that fell out.. so no broken feathers! I've never seen this before?
The feather is empty, but the end is bloody. Was this an old feather on its way to fall out?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Old feathers have no blood supply, but knocking one out can still cause the skin around it to bleed a bit. That may be what happened.