• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind macaw

Brutis

Moving in
Three days ago I adapted a blind B & G macaw. He lives on a movable stand.

He gives kisses when on the stand.
When I hold him He has to have a towel to chew on.
I'm thinking the chewing is because he is scared? Any suggestions?
I have had macaws in the past but I have no experience with a blind one.
He is a rescue so his age is unknown.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Balance is very difficult when you can't see. I would think something to hold onto would make it easier.
I can't really say more without seeing what is taking place. If you get a video or pictures maybe I could help more.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I cannot speak to the chewing but my African Grey was nearly blind and for him it was important to tell him everything I was doing so I did not spook him. I also kept his cage almost the same so that he could easily move about his cage. If I changed anything (mostly toys), I would show him all the changes. He got to where he was completely comfortable in his cage but really did not like to get out of his cage unless he was just right with me. Once he was familiar with an area, he was fearless but it took him awhile to get there. Likely your guy will gain confidence as he gets familiar with the surroundings. It takes a lot of trust to build confidence.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a blind budgie, and it was important to start talking to him before I was close by so he wouldn't startle. I used bells in his cage to familiarize him with various set spots in the cage and to let him know when I had put fresh food in the cage.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomesign: glad you joined us!
Thanks for taking on a special needs guy!!! You are awesome!