• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind budgie after Baytril

ddmills64

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I took my one and a half year old budgie to the vet after she had been having diarrhea for a few weeks. They gave me Baytril give her for 7 days. Her stool samples came back clean no parasites no bacteria. But now she is blind and I still have no cause or reason for the . I called the vet back and asked them about the Bay Trail if it could cause blindness they said no they have not recommended anything else other than probiotics which I am trying to find. I feel so sorry for my bird and helpless and feel it is my fault that she is now blind. The vet has no further recommendations. Any any help or advice or explanations would would kindly be appreciated thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would get a second opinion on this. Is the diarrhea under control? I am so sorry this happened.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If your bird was exposed to direct sunshine there is a chance the eyes can be effected because the medication causes increased sensitivity to sunlight.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I'm so sorry. There can be many reasons that budgies go blind. Mine recently went blind after a misdiagnosed fungal infection spread. That is one of many possibilities (including tumor) that would not have been helped by antibiotics. Agree with LadyJane that you should seek a second opinion.

Don't blame yourself. I have been to five different avian vets and sometimes people get it wrong-- I'm also realizing someone can practice as an avian vet for years and still not be very familiar with budgies and small birds. Baytril for polyuria sounds like a very harsh, general response to that one symptom. Think hard about what other symptoms there are and seek another vet's opinion. I wish you both the best.

ddmills64

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for all your responses I appreciate that very much. No the diarrhea is still not under control I don't know what started it in the first place and I'm still trying to figure that one out I would feel maybe a little better if her poops were better they are just watery and no your rates are present in them just liquid and skinny green poops. I'm more worried about that but she does just sit in her cage all day and doesn't make any sounds doesn't want to do anything just rooting around for her food and water which I have placed in the same spot all the time so she can find them but it makes me really sad. The first vet I took her to was $160 so it's kind of pricey to get her seen again although you can't really put a price on your pet's help I am looking for a more affordable vet and maybe who knows a little bit more. I don't believe she was in the direct sunlight with the antibiotics it's winter time here so she was pretty much in her case most of the time. I think I answered everyone's questions Maybe. Thank you for your responses again I appreciate them.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Baytril can cause neurological side effects, especially if a higher dose , in cats has been linked to causing blindness , that some can have a return of sight .

Many antibiotics can have side effects, even human used ones...I think metronidazole causes some neurological? Can't remember but I know I was on one antibiotic that could cause problems with ligaments/tendon and I was told to restrict my activity and report any soreness right away.

Last edited: