• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bleh, Where can I go for Natural Perches Outdoors?

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I just emailed my city to see if our parks are treated so I can pick up fallen branches. Of course they replied telling me it's against city code to pick up these branches... that would otherwise be tossed and they didn't answer my question.

Should I go to some national parks near me? Nature Reserves? I just don't know where is safe! I live in VA Beach if anyone is curious and has insight on my area.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
We have several yards here converting to "wildscaping." The woman who does their yards brings cuttings to my goats. Maybe look up organic gardening in your area and make a connection with them...you might even end up with a source for fresh veggies too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not sure about there but here you need to have a permit to pick up even fallen branches no matter where they are for a few different reasons.
I get mine from friends farms, my own back yard and I do also forage where I am not meant to but I know there are no chemicals used.
Another idea is contacting your local tree loppers or chippers and asking them if they will help you out by letting you know where they are working and if they will allow you to take some of the branches they cut. I have done this a few times and it made my life so easy and they were more than happy to let me take a few branches- they even cut them to size for me :D

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I like the idea that @Shezbug suggested.

Please avoid collecting from national parks and nature reserves, as leaf litter and downed tree management are sometimes a part of a forest management plan that allows for underbrush to accumulate and form habitat for various species, eventually breaking down and becoming an integral part of a healthy ecosystem. Your region is an important flyway for migratory species, many of which are looking for safe nesting spaces right about now in places like parks and reserves.

Opting for branches cut from local trees (whose species will be known by the arborists or treecutters!) will result in branches that would otherwise be chipped or discarded. Anecdotally, city parks in my area do not spray pesticides on trees, but trees are still susceptible to any mosquito spraying that takes place on a larger scale.

Local gardening and landscaping companies often do pruning of "perch-scale" branches. You could also reach out to some of them for a supply.