• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bleeding Beak

chelsbird

Moving in
Hi, hopefully someone here can help a little. I have a parakeet that has this ball-like thing on her beak. I noticed it a few days ago but couldn’t do too much at the time. Now a couple days have passed and it has started to bleed excessively. I have another parakeet in the same cage and was wondering if I should move the other one in the meantime. Does anyone know what to do? Anything would help, thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Has the bleeding stopped?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you post a picture?

chelsbird

Moving in
Within the day it didn’t bleed and when I checked up on her, she was bleeding. I’m in North Jersey, I do think that she needs to go to the vet, but hopefully until then I can help somehow 68931B33-0986-4499-9FCE-62A6E3FFC32A.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh she looks miserable :( I'm glad to hear the bleeding has stopped; the vet would be my next move!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I see the tail of another bird in the cage. What kind of bird is it? Yes, that's a pretty nasty wound and definitely needs to be seen. You mentioned a bump that was there. Was it on the beak or the cere ( the part above the beak where the nostrils are located). Could this be an injury from a toy or from the other bird?

chelsbird

Moving in
The other bird is also a parakeet, and I doubt it’s from her. It’s on her actual beak not the cere. I also don’t think it’s from one of the toys as I don’t think one of them would be sharp enough or hard enough to do that to her. But I’ll definitely try to take her to the vet, because of the wound she hates being handled.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its highly likely your bird will need a wound cleanse by a vet and prescribed antibiotic plus possible pain management.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The other bird is also a parakeet, and I doubt it’s from her. It’s on her actual beak not the cere. I also don’t think it’s from one of the toys as I don’t think one of them would be sharp enough or hard enough to do that to her. But I’ll definitely try to take her to the vet, because of the wound she hates being handled.
If you have a separate cage I'd probably isolate her from the other bird to keep her from possibly picking at it. Have they been out of the cage and flying this past week? I agree with @Lady Jane. It does need to be cleaned and treated. Probably will prescribe an antibiotic to prevent infection and also give you pain medication for her. It looks like it could be painful. There's a good bit of blood on the perch and her right toes... are those injured at all? Take a hard look at everything in her cage to see if there may be a source of an incident. Can we see the whole cage too?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Toys can hurt them in ways we cannot predict, for example some of the metal hangers available can pierce or get caught on the beak. Other birds can also deliver pretty significant injuries to each other!

chelsbird

Moving in
If you have a separate cage I'd probably isolate her from the other bird to keep her from possibly picking at it. Have they been out of the cage and flying this past week? I agree with @Lady Jane. It does need to be cleaned and treated. Probably will prescribe an antibiotic to prevent infection and also give you pain medication for her. It looks like it could be painful. There's a good bit of blood on the perch and her right toes... are those injured at all? Take a hard look at everything in her cage to see if there may be a source of an incident. Can we see the whole cage too?
I have tried to take her out yesterday so that I could possibly clean it off too. But that was after she got the “bump”. The blood by her feet is when she had rubbed her beak against the perch, possibly to scratch it or get rid of it. I’m not home at the moment so I don’t have a picture of the whole cage. But, I do have this. I have to clean the cage, as I fear she might get an infection. Nothing else seems to be an incident spot. Also, since it slowly grew over the past couple days, I don’t think there would be, but I’ll definitely check.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Omg, that is one bad wound.
Toys can hurt them in ways we cannot predict, for example some of the metal hangers available can pierce or get caught on the beak. Other birds can also deliver pretty significant injuries to each other!
Those hooks on the ladders can do it, too. I had one Budgie get himself pinned by the neck between one of those hooks and the cage bars. He was panicked and if I hadn't been home, I fear he would have broken his own neck trying to free himself.