• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Black Vultures having a snack(graphic)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I went out this morning hoping for some animal luck and I had quite a bit of that happily with what I believe is the same pair of Black Vultures I've photographed before.
I found them on the median with a poor squirrel that had a very bad day. I was only about 8 feet from them so managed quite a few nice shots between the cars whizzing by. I stayed with them about 15 mins then moved on to let them eat in peace.
DSC00237.jpg DSC00285.jpg DSC00292.jpg DSC00327.jpg Vulture r.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great shots!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great shots!
Thanks so much! I missed out on so many unfortunately since I was literally next to an extremely busy road so many of them were out of focus because the cars flashing by messed the auto focus up.
But I was quite pleased with what I did manage. I really enjoy these guys and I'm always happy to stumble upon them.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Are these the same as turkey buzzards?

My whole neighborhood is filled with turkey buzzards. They crack me up in the morning when they're sunning their wings - they look like they're solar charging :roflmao:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not sure why, but I've got a soft spot for the carrion eaters ever since our Buzzard came to live with us. :laugh: Totally not the same thing, I know!

They crack me up in the morning when they're sunning their wings - they look like they're solar charging
I've either never seen this or wasn't sure what I was seeing. Now I can't wait to get another chance to see their solar panels. :lol:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've either never seen this or wasn't sure what I was seeing. Now I can't wait to get another chance to see their solar panels.
I wish I could get a photo! They always do it high up and I only have my phone, so it's all grainy looking.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Those pictures are stunning! Such beautiful birds. So necessary and oftentimes undervalued.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are these the same as turkey buzzards?

My whole neighborhood is filled with turkey buzzards. They crack me up in the morning when they're sunning their wings - they look like they're solar charging :roflmao:
They are a smaller species,I've seen a lot of Turkey vultures (they have the red naked heads but they are always so high in the sky the pics don't turn out well.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure why, but I've got a soft spot for the carrion eaters ever since our Buzzard came to live with us. :laugh: Totally not the same thing, I know!

I've either never seen this or wasn't sure what I was seeing. Now I can't wait to get another chance to see their solar panels. :lol:
Ha! I've got a picture of this exact thing from what I believe is the same pair!
Enjoy sorry its a bit far I was trying to make sure to get a shot before they stopped and sure enough a few seconds later they put their wings down.
Black vul(35).jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those pictures are stunning! Such beautiful birds. So necessary and oftentimes undervalued.
Thank you so much! They really are unfortunately so many people in my life think they are disgusting and want nothing to do with them.
I've always loved vultures and get such a thrill when I can see them doing their work as nature's cleaners.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ha! I've got a picture of this exact thing from what I believe is the same pair!
Enjoy sorry its a bit far I was trying to make sure to get a shot before they stopped and sure enough a few seconds later they put their wings down.
View attachment 426521
That's exactly it! Solar charging!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's exactly it! Solar charging!
Its so adorable! I got so giddy with excitement when I saw them doing this I had to walk a fair bit to get near them and just kept thinking it's going to be too late and sure enough my only shot but it was so great to see.