• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Capped Conure Question

athena

Moving in
I have been thinking about adding another bird to my flock of two cockatiels sometime in the future (probably not for at least six months)

I’ve done some reading on the Black Capped Conure and I can’t seem to find good information online and was hoping someone would be able to answer some of my questions.

1) How loud are they and how often do they vocalize? I’ve read that they are quiet but I don’t think any parrot is really completely “quiet.”

2) What is there general temperament?
I couldn’t really find anything on this other that they can be playful

3) How are they with other birds? If they are known to be aggressive with other birds, I wouldn’t want the cockatiels to be bullied.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Hey there. Here's my person experience:
1. My little Ari is relatively quiet as far as birds go, and this is part of why I got her. I live in an apartment, and I've never had any complaints.
2. Ari is very playful. She's a very social creature, and she is not happy when I miss social cues. When she wants attention, is is quite insistant.
3. I cannot speak to how she is with other birds.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Hi!!! I can totally help here!! :)

For your first question, they're not "ear piercing" loud, but definitely "should not live in a flat or a house with thin walls" loud. It took a long while for me to get used to the noise, and when Aro is angry you can definately tell he's angry. But in my opinion they're relitively quiet /for a conure/. They're def quieter then a sun conure! Here is an example video to hopefully share it a little bit!

As for your second question,,I think its a mixed bag, and I ended up with a very naughty fruit xD He can be VERY temperamental, no matter what I've done to make him less grumpy he always seems to have a bit of an edge to him, which I've grown to love tbh, he very much enjoys his own company more then he does being close and cuddly, but he loves some head scritches and the occasional preen. But I have seen WAY MORE bcc's who are super cuddly love bugs who love their attention, so you're more then likely to get a velcro bird then one like Aro, haha! Mine is just a factory defect I think xD (joke). That being said he has started to warm up to me in the past few months and has been coming over for head kisses and to sit on my chest sometimes, so maybe they just take a while to warm up to people? haha.

I can't really speak on how aro specifically would be with other birds, but I've seen a lot of people who have bcc's who have cockatiels and they seem quite happy and to be getting along!! I'd just say take it slow and introduce them at a pace they're comfortable with, and it should be fine. :)

If you have any other questions I'm more then happy to help!!!