• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bizarre creature needs identification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good guess, Matt. I was thinking of the large rodent species that is semi-aquatic but the name had escaped me. Nutria, that was it. :cool10:
Animal Planet aired a special on invasive nutrias in the US. It was interesting to watch.

Matt

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
the hind feet of a nutria are large and black with webbing the pic doesnt look like it has those.also have a long tail to like a muskrat. we had both of them in ponds near where i lived in oklahoma.here is one of the pics off the hairless groundhog facebook site in case you couldnt get to it.
39168_1529580608833_1514265996_1319711_1849137_s.jpg

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Muskrat. Reminds me of a agouti as well, but more likely a muskrat.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
nutria are a little larger and have different hind feet/legs and are normally hairy :shrug: they are somewhat common around here too ;)

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
nutria are a little larger and have different hind feet/legs and are normally hairy :shrug:
Whatever it may be it's certainly not in its natural state and must have some kind of disease to be hairless. Much like 'chupacabras' are wild canids and hairless from some illness.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I hope that, whenever they capture it, he is not harmed in any way. I am sure he is more scared of the humans than they are of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.