• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting

zoeythetoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
I'm gonna sound like I worry a lot and it's true I do I just wanna make sure she's okay since this is out of character for her so basically I came out of the game room my brother was watching her and we had to go so I had to put her back and she bit me I'm guessing she did since I was about to put her back and yeah I get it but it's very rare for her to bite me so then I walked away after saying no to her and came back sat down she got on my lap and tried to bite me again and I wasn't trying to put her back just concerned is there a reason for this. this is very out
of character for my too

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How old is she? Could she reaching sexual maturity? That was the first thought that came to my mind... Also Anything different or new?

Trying to figuring out the why will go a long way is helping reduce the biting. Being put back in their cage is very common, I went through that with my Too. I'm extremely heavy handed when come to praising behaviors I want. Everytime she goes into the cage nicely, I'd offer a reward or praise. Whatever works best for her.

Another thought I had was when she tried to bite you again how long was it from the first time she tried to bite you? Do you maybe you didn't give her enough cooling off period?

zoeythetoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
How old is she? Could she reaching sexual maturity? That was the first thought that came to my mind... Also Anything different or new?

Trying to figuring out the why will go a long way is helping reduce the biting. Being put back in their cage is very common, I went through that with my Too. I'm extremely heavy handed when come to praising behaviors I want. Everytime she goes into the cage nicely, I'd offer a reward or praise. Whatever works best for her.

Another thought I had was when she tried to bite you again how long was it from the first time she tried to bite you? Do you maybe you didn't give her enough cooling off period?
She's a 25 year old too, the gap was about 5 minutes. I also encourage good behavior with my birds that's why I'm so surprised when things like this happen

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm.... that's curious. Thou in my experience sometimes it takes longer than 5 minutes for a Too to calm down.

How sure are you that nothing is new or out of place? Is it possible something spook her? Has she been hormonal lately? I know have to be more careful during certain times of the year.

Because you're right, it's odd that her behavior would suddenly change like that. If she continues to be aggressive and you can't find any reason why you might consider taking her to the vet. While I think this is the worse case scenario and am not too sure how likely it is. I think it would be reasonable to make sure something isn't causing her some kind of pain that's making her act out. Especially if gets worse.

I hope you figure what's going on with her. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with aggressive behaviors

zoeythetoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
There's definitely nothing new There's a rolled up carpet on the floor but I doubt she's scared of that since she's not that type of bird she may be hormonal I'm not very informed with that subject so it's possible I'll definitely look into the vet if it continues thank you so much

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
For what it worth my U2 can be pretty phobic at times and sometimes at the most random of things. A rolled up carpet that wasn't there before could totally set him off. Thankfully he's not super bitey when he's spooked but it isn't out of the question. My past M2 wasn't set off by much. I moved twice when I had him and his behavioral problems got much worse each time.

I definitely find it a process figuring out what makes each individual bird tick. And you'll continue to pick up more subtle things as you get better at it. :)

One of the more common hormonal behavior is nesting. Digging and being obsessed with any area that they deemed as a good nesting spot. Basically anywhere that has some kind void or hole in it. Corners are a fairly common too. Empty boxes can be stimulating and sometimes a problem. They can also be more territorial around cages too. Females you gotta worry about egg laying. That's not always a problem but it's important you know how to deal with it.

Best of luck with it, I hope I've been helpful :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How long have you had this bird? Am I right in thinking you said your 2 has chosen your brother as her person? I am almost certain I recall you saying this bird has bonded with your brother. If that is the case then I would look at whether or not that could have something to do with this double bite you got served up.

I am really sorry you are seeing a change in your birds character, I know how hard this is to deal with. Hopefully you can figure out if it is hormones or something else.

zoeythetoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
Thank you both yes my bird is bonded to me and my brother you guys have both been helpful so far she's better today not sure if she'll snap again