• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I dont know if its hormonal or what but Valentine bit me on Tues, yesterday she was in my shirt but then flew out and bit me right beside the other one. The place she bit is the skin between the thumb and 1st finger. This is so not like her. When I finally got her off of me I put her in her cage and she has been there since yesterday, nothing has changed, could it be the cane, she has seen me with many times. How long should I keep her in the cage? To be honest I am scared of her now, I have thought about getting her wings clipped. One more thing, no blood from the bites (I am a bleeder) and today I have two red dots. I did feed her this a.m. but didn't speak to her..

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I've been through this with certain birds. Something happens and suddenly feelings are hurt, maybe I don't know them as well as I thought I did? A handful of things helped me.
I tend to take it personally; it helps to take a break. Go on a walk, or shopping for something unrelated to birds.
Share some food. After I calm, I just sit with no expectations feeding them some treats. Restart with a positive interaction.
A good birdy shower is a great reset for them. Turns that pent-up energy to calm preening time.
My mom (learned for her dad about horses) told me the animals you trust the most are just as likely to cause you harm. Anyway, sometimes my Too gets upset about hats or headphones. It isn't consistent (he's never bit me more than a small pinch), but I am careful regardless, and usually take off headphones before handling him.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've been through this with certain birds. Something happens and suddenly feelings are hurt, maybe I don't know them as well as I thought I did? A handful of things helped me.
I tend to take it personally; it helps to take a break. Go on a walk, or shopping for something unrelated to birds.
Share some food. After I calm, I just sit with no expectations feeding them some treats. Restart with a positive interaction.
A good birdy shower is a great reset for them. Turns that pent-up energy to calm preening time.
My mom (learned for her dad about horses) told me the animals you trust the most are just as likely to cause you harm. Anyway, sometimes my Too gets upset about hats or headphones. It isn't consistent (he's never bit me more than a small pinch), but I am careful regardless, and usually take off headphones before handling him.
Thanks for the info

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I know mine also went through challenging times.
Unprovoked aggression does at times seem to be attached to hormonal and/or stressful times.

I'd not stress yourself out. Valentine may just be having a bad day, or going through some changes. Step back, don't take it personally, and give her some space. Act fairly normal with her, but be hands off until you see how she's acting.

I think many of our birds will go through behavior changes over the years, we just need to be aware they may happen, and take things in stride.