• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds with cat

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone my cat passed away in 2011 can I really miss having a cat around the house. When I had her I also had two birds and I never saw her mess with my birds . I would like to get another cat but I am concerned since I have the two birds. I've heard two theories get a kitten or get a older cat anybody have any suggestions

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a cat and a bird. My cat is 7 and my bird is 9. Growing up, I've always had cats, sometimes three or four generations at a time. However, since I now have a bird, especially one with limited mobility, I know that once my cat passes, I won't have anymore cats.
The anxiety is always there and no matter the age of the cat or personality, it will always be a predator and birds will always be fair game. To me, it's not worth the risk, but if you're intent on getting a cat while having a bird, it would be wise to set up a separate area for the bird that the cat is not allowed near under any circumstance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the cat, but if I were to get another cat (one of mine died in November) I 100% would not be getting a kitten.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can keep the cat completely and permanently separated from the birds, you may be able to get away with having both in the house. If that's not a possibility, you run the very real risk of losing one or both of your fids; even the sweetest of cats are predators, and may one day decide that they want TAG or sennie for lunch. If a cat were able to get a single bite or scratch in, your bird(s) could die from the bacteria in the cat's saliva, which is lethal to avians.

If you do go for a cat, I wouldn't personally suggest a kitten. They're pretty reliably insane, and you have no idea what that kitten will grow up to be like. Adult cats have already grown into the personalities, and tend to be easier to predict. I think that's true of all species, really.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got mine as a 4-6 month old stray. The vet the was hoping to adopt her out had kept her as long as he was willing without putting her down, so I took her. I went into it with the attitude that this will be made to work because the alternative is the likely death of a very nice cat. For the first few years, I only allowed her in the house when I was there. Otherwise, she was on my enclosed porch or in the basement depending on the weather. She spent the first 2 weeks wet from my spray bottle. If she so much as looked at a bird and flashed those green predatory eyes, she got sprayed. Probably not very nice, but two weeks of being wet is better than a permanent death. She had very clearly hunted birds before and it took some doing to get her past the stage of wanting to reach out and touch them. I would never trust her loose in the house with flitty little birds like parrotlets or budgies around. However, now that she's about 10 years old, she's a lot more interested in napping. If I have little birds out, then she has to go somewhere else. If my big birds are out, then I just make sure I'm in the same room and they aren't in a position to touch each other unless I'm literally right there. More often than not, I have a cat napping on the back of my chair and a bird sitting in my lap with no problems. You just have to be vigilant which is hard for some people. If you have kids or other people in the house that would have a hard time following house rules that include always locking the cat away every time you leave the house, and always without ever an exception putting bird in cage before leaving the room, then you might not want to get a cat. Some cats are easier to have around birds than vermin hunting dog breeds.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Just a suggestion as you asked. DON'T get a cat if you have birds. A cat is a bird's natural enemy.
Well, you asked.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
and cats have alot of germs in their saliva, one bite can kill a bird.....