• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds Talons?????

hannahNala

Strolling the yard
Am I supposed to be trimming my lovebirds talons? Im new to owning a bird and I never even thought or heard of trimming them but they've gotten very long since I've gotten her. I have bunnies, dogs ect. and I cut all their nails, but I don't want to the the birds on my own so if I am supposed to where should I get it done?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
If your bird isn't comfortable being completely restrained definitely don't trim her nails yourself. Having to grab a bird, hold them down, then do a potentially very stressful procedure may only serve to destroy what trust she has in you.

There are professional bird groomers that could do it for you, as well as some pet stores or even breeders. A sure shot will always be an avian vet. All of these can be found online.

Finally, it is possible to maintain your bird's nails without having to trim them. First and foremost is with a good diet: nutritional imbalances can easily cause nails or beaks to overgrow. Second is with abrasive perches. I use one or two concrete/sanded perches in my parrotlet's cage and he never needs beak/nail work.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If the nails are long, they should be trimmed. They can get caught on things and make it hard for them to walk, etc. I take my tiel to the vet for trims. He charges $15.