• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds laying on their back?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I gather, this is a super trusting position, which makes sense.

Is it something any bird can learn to do? I’ve only ever seen certain species doing it. Specifically, I’ve never seen either of the two species I have doing it - cockatiels and quakers. I’ve seen cliques, conures, toos, macaws… I think a budgie and lovebird? Primarily conure sized and up though.

Is it an “every bird” thing or are some species less likely to allow it?

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
I think most parrot species will, it kind of depends on the bond you have with your birds. Quakers can be trained to, but I'm not sure if cockatiels can.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any species will do it but it’s something they’ll only do if they feel totally safe and if it something that tickles that particular birds fancy.

Squeaks gf used to play on her back a bit but Squeak never does.

I see the wild birds play this way too sometimes.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is it something that conures are just more prone to doing? That’s the species I see the most doing it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it really depends on the bird and to a degree species. Like cockatiels with that long tail, I don't think generally lay on their backs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is it something that conures are just more prone to doing? That’s the species I see the most doing it.
I have noticed it more with very well handled confident birds than with any particular species.

The species I have seen doing it the most would be macaws and budgies- maybe it is because I follow more accounts with these species but I am not sure.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie rolls on his back when we're playing. The only issue I have is that he sometimes twists a feather in his haste to roll over. Lol
Sometimes it's not a simple fix...he has one twisted now.
I keep fixing it, but I can almost guarantee when we're playing tonight it will get twisted again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know how natural it is for a bird to be on their back haha.

I've never had a bird lay on their back unless being held. 1 quaker would let me lay him in my hand, and 1 green cheek, but only briefly. No for the other quaker, hahns, and Jardine's.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I wanted to say it is all in context. I don't want people to think it is always a good thing.
yes, sometimes it can be done in trust but both Blue-fronted Amazons I've had will go over on their backs when they are very scared, like at the vet's.
Or if I am trying to give them meds. They are also usually yelling.
I think it may be a BFA thing.
I can hold other 2 of my other birds ( Jenday, Hahns) on their backs although I don't really feel the need to do that much, and my Goffin can be given a toy and he'll briefly play on his back on the floor.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
JaKhu plays on her back in her cage. She rolls on her back on the floor. She will roll off a perch into my hand. If she's on the floor & I want to pick her up she rolls over & sticks her feet in the air for me to pick her up by her feet. As soon as they handed her to me at the parrot store I laid her on her back in my lap. She was just 4 months old. Ever since she seems to feel comfortable on her back. I also did floor play teaching her to do a complete roll over.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had 3 Conures 2 Green Cheeks and a Crimson Bellied and they all would do it but it was a matter of trust. It wasn't instant Nala took years and Zazu a month or 2 and same with Tobias but to be fair they were both babies when I got them and Nala an adult rehome.