• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird tea

Tielboy5

Moving in
Real Name
nir flatau
Heya! I wanted to brew some cockatiel safe tea, but I noticed we are all out of camomile. We do however have store bought cinnamon teabag blend(decaf ofc). Can I give it to my buddy? He is a bit stressed and I want to give him something to calm down (if it doesn’t stop I will take him to the vet of course). If not, are there any other calming teas I can give him? It’s the weekend and I’d rather give him something now and not wait, because I want him to be better.
[p.s. it’s not feather plucking stress, if it will get to that I will go to the vet immediately]
I will add the ingredientsthat are listed (if any) below:
Cinnamon 51%
Roasted chicory
Flavor and smell concentrate(12% cinnamon) (not exact translation, not English native speaker)
Hibiscus
Orange peel
Apples
Ground up pimiento
Camomile
Carob
(I can send a pic of package but it’s in Hebrew). Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some varieties of cinnamon are not very good for parrots. Only ceylon cinnamon is recommended. I do not know enough about the other ingredients without researching and I need to get my kids to bed!

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I would probably avoid it due to the ambiguous "flavor and smell concentrate" and not knowing exactly which type of cinnamon it is. The other type(s) besides ceylon can be toxic.

Tielboy5

Moving in
Real Name
nir flatau
I would probably avoid it due to the ambiguous "flavor and smell concentrate" and not knowing exactly which type of cinnamon it is. The other type(s) besides ceylon can be toxic.
Ok thanks! Do you have any other types of tea that might work besides camomile?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Rebecca
I get "UnruffledRx Parrot calming herbs" from Birdsupplies.com (they are out of Colorado, USA). It's a loose herb mix that you could use as tea (steep in a tea ball/bag). I put a pinch in their water (they love it!). The ingredients are: alfalfa leaves, chamomile flowers, lemon balm, red clover flowers, kava kava root, passion flower, valerian powder. I think this helps my crazy birds...

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Mint maybe? I know it's safe just not sure if it'll help him calm down.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mint or ginger would work. You can use fresh or dried mint leaves, or fresh or ground ginger.