• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird smells like wet towel & plucking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi guys,

My fiery shoulder conure (zazzy) has started plucking two months ago, when we went to the vet they said its just behavioural, but today something occurred to me. We shower Zazzy and when he dryed off i was playing with him and wanted to kiss his tummy I smelled a strong smell of a wet towel that`s been left for a long time. Wet dog might be appropriate. So i thought maybe thats the reason his is plucking his tummy, because it smells? i am booking a vet appointment but of course it has to be holiday season, Christmas Eve, and they are closed. The reason this just occured to me is because I have just moved in with my boyfriend and Zazzy is his bird. I have spent a lot of time with him before and on times I thought he had a weird smell, but i never really thought about it until now.

Any thoughts ???

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Full vet check for both but did your vet do gram stains? Also sometimes when they pluck, they get yeast infections on their skin. Giggie actually had feathers plucked and Dr. O gram stained the feather at the shaft. She finally had me spray her with 1ml of F10 to 250ml of water twice a day and it finally cleared up.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My maroon belly smells like a wet towel after a bath also. She has had recent vet check-ups and is healthy. I think it is just how her feathers smell.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Did the vet do fecal and blood work on Zazzy? And skin/feather testing?

It could be behavioral, but it could also be medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.