• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird sitter clipped wings

Bokeh

Moving in
I got my little guy several months ago and the family I adopted him from had clipped his wings, but it didn't seem to impact his ability to fly much at all. He would fly from room to room in my house and he was doing great with recall. My plan has been to let his feathers grow back in and let him be fully flighted.
However, our family went on a trip over the past two weeks, and I left him with a reputable boarder. When I made the reservation they asked if he was clipped as it was a requirement of them being able to watch him. I told them that he was, but that he could fly pretty well anyway. I asked if that was an issue at all and they said that was fine as long as he was clipped.
After I picked him up today, I noticed that his wings had been noticeably clipped and now he can barely fly 1-2 feet before he falls to the ground. Now I don't know what to do - the poor guy can't even get to his cage to get a drink of water when he wants it.
How long before his feathers will grow back in? Will his inability to fly now impact his ability to do so later? Is there anything I can do to keep him safer right now (it's a long fall off my shoulder) or make the adjustment to not being able to fly or glide easier? I feel so bad - I had no idea they would clip him again, let alone so severely.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:sadhug2:Oh my gosh, I'd be furious! Why on earth would someone who boards birds want to clip a bird they do not even own?! I got a knot in my stomach reading this. It takes awhile, depending on how severe the clip is, and I don't know how old your bird is, but since he was flying fine before, unless they harmed him during the clip he should be able to fly again after the flight feathers grow back. I just can't believe anyone would do this to someone's bird, especially after they told you it would be fine and dandy for him! UGHHHHH!!!! Poor baby. Hope his feathers grow fast and he will be flying and exploring soon as he was before.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on when he was clipped in relation to his last/next molt. In my experience you're looking at 6-12 months.

He should be able to fly okay when they come back.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your sweet baby. That's so awful and I can't believe they would just clip without your permission :(

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry that happened! There is an exotics boarding facility in my state, and I won't use them because they have a policy of clipping the wings of the birds.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your sweet baby. That's so awful and I can't believe they would just clip without your permission :(
Unfortunately, some bird boarding places require it, and if they think your bird isn't clipped 'enough', then they will do so themselves. When you agree to board there, you agree with their policy by default.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, some bird boarding places require it, and if they think your bird isn't clipped 'enough', then they will do so themselves. When you agree to board there, you agree with their policy by default.
Oh so maybe it was in the paperwork they signed that makes more sense then.

Bokeh

Moving in
:sadhug2:Oh my gosh, I'd be furious! Why on earth would someone who boards birds want to clip a bird they do not even own?! I got a knot in my stomach reading this. It takes awhile, depending on how severe the clip is, and I don't know how old your bird is, but since he was flying fine before, unless they harmed him during the clip he should be able to fly again after the flight feathers grow back. I just can't believe anyone would do this to someone's bird, especially after they told you it would be fine and dandy for him! UGHHHHH!!!! Poor baby. Hope his feathers grow fast and he will be flying and exploring soon as he was before.
He's about 18 months old right now - that's reassuring that he will likely be able to fly just fine once they grow back. I am so sad and frustrated, I wish they would have told me when I set everything up that if he wasn't clipped to their satisfaction that they would do it themselves. I would have found somewhere else to have him stay. They made it sound like it was just fine! Thank you for the validation as well - I'm livid. Hopefully they grow back quickly - he hasn't been through a molt yet since he's been with me - so hopefully he'll go through one soon.

Bokeh

Moving in
It depends on when he was clipped in relation to his last/next molt. In my experience you're looking at 6-12 months.

He should be able to fly okay when they come back.
Thank you! He hasn't molted since I've had him (August) and he's about 18 months old now. Not sure when to expect a molt, but hopefully it'll be soon.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Then you might get lucky and have him molt sooner than later :)