• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe cat calming collar?

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Hi all. One of my cats is being bullied by my other cats and I'm looking into getting a calming collar for her. I tried Feliway but Feliway says they are unsafe for birds. Any suggestions?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Who is getting the calming collar? The bully or the bullied?

It may be considered cruel but will a spray bottle used on the bully at the exact time of being a rebel help?

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway

It may be considered cruel but will a spray bottle used on the bully at the exact time of being a rebel help?
I'm considering who. I think I'm going to start with the bullied because she doesn't stand up for herself. If that doesn't work, I'll give it to everyone. I tried the spray bottle but the bully is sneaky and he and his sister bully her. And I'm afraid that they might be spiteful and really hurt her or associate her negatively.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway

And thank you for helping me with everything. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row while quarantining.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am only familiar with these sorts of collars for dogs that are supposed to help with stress behavior issues.
I personally did not think that it made a significant change for the amount of money the darn thing cost me, it did however make me feel better that I had tried to do something for my old dog at a time when he was stressed.

My biggest query about these collars being unsafe for birds is...... exactly how close to the bird does this collar need to be to become unsafe? I am thinking if the collar is close enough to the bird to be unsafe then your cats are probably too close to your bird for your bird to be safe.
I am guessing that if the collar is on a cat and the bird can get close enough for the collar to be unsafe then my best guess is the bird is living in an unsafe environment in the first place as the cat can get close enough to be a significant danger to the bird. If you can work out the distance these collars need to be to not be a danger to a bird then you may find that they are not really a hazard at all. Like for instance, if a cat flea collar is dangerous for a bird and my old cat had of worn one I can guarantee that the collar would never have been an issue to my bird as my cat was never allowed close enough to my bird for the collar to have become a bird danger anyway.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I am only familiar with these sorts of collars for dogs that are supposed to help with stress behavior issues.
I personally did not think that it made a significant change for the amount of money the darn thing cost me, it did however make me feel better that I had tried to do something for my old dog at a time when he was stressed.

My biggest query about these collars being unsafe for birds is...... exactly how close to the bird does this collar need to be to become unsafe? I am thinking if the collar is close enough to the bird to be unsafe then your cats are probably too close to your bird for your bird to be safe.
I am guessing that if the collar is on a cat and the bird can get close enough for the collar to be unsafe then my best guess is the bird is living in an unsafe environment in the first place as the cat can get close enough to be a significant danger to the bird. If you can work out the distance these collars need to be to not be a danger to a bird then you may find that they are not really a hazard at all. Like for instance, if a cat flea collar is dangerous for a bird and my old cat had of worn one I can guarantee that the collar would never have been an issue to my bird as my cat was never allowed close enough to my bird for the collar to have become a bird danger anyway.
The bullied cat lives in the living room and my bird has a stand in the living room that he's on during the day. I know flea collars have a heavy scent when first opened. I'm just nervous that if I get a calming collar it'd be really scented but I'll figure something out. Thank you.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the calming collar made with chemicals, essential oils or pheromones? I guess this will also make the difference as to what you choose.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Is the calming collar made with chemicals, essential oils or pheromones? I guess this will also make the difference as to what you choose.
Chuwpi says its all natural and it contains a pheromone that mother cats have for nursing kittens which is what I'm leaning toward.
Most of them that I'm looking at have pheromones.

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Sentry has a synthtic rabbit pheromone and has a very strong smell based on reviews.

Parrotkiss

Hit the Road
Frankenmuth, Michigan (Formerly from the U.K.)
Real Name
Glenda
Hi all. One of my cats is being bullied by my other cats and I'm looking into getting a calming collar for her. I tried Feliway but Feliway says they are unsafe for birds. Any suggestions?
Cat nip?? Marihuana ? ( Believe it or not they do use that now for cats and dogs)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I had a cat that was severely mentally disabled due to someone medicating it with the above suggestion :(

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I had a cat that was severely mentally disabled due to someone medicating it with the above suggestion :(
With marijuana? I wouldn't do that :no:. I have allergies and all strong smells bother me lol I start sneezing and get a stuffy/runny nose so I feel like I know what birds feel with smells.