• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Room Remodel

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Idk if I titled that correctly. As some of you know, we just recently bought a house. After living in under 200 sq ft in the RV for over 6 years I must say, I feel like I've walked miles when going from one end of the house to the other!

I have been promising TD a real bird room for a few years. Now I have 3 extra bedrooms to fulfill that promise. Each room is 8'11" x 12'7". Two have back to back closets which could be opened up to connect the two. I'm looking at a big remodel to make it totally bird safe and totally a bird habitat.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new floating linoleum, or minoleum, I've heard it referred to. I've read some times you can put it right over the carpet.

I don't know what they painted the walls with, but it comes off on your hands. Probably not anything good. What's the best type of paint to use? Or should I invest in plexiglass?

Any insight, ideas, experiences anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I don't know about that particular flooring. I used LVT flooring in my bird room and in most of the rooms in my home. The carpet was removed and the flooring was able to be placed on the subfloor. The rooms were also painted using a low VOC paint from Home Depot. My birds were placed in another room until the paint was dry.

I have 5 flight cages in my bird room. They do have castors/wheels and move easily on the floor - no scratching.

I also had 2 wood boards attached to the ceiling. This was to limit the amount of holes drilled in the ceiling for hanging their stuff. I think they were 2x2x8. I only hang swings, toys, etc from these boards. I used screw in eye hooks in the boards to attach their toys.

Good luck on your project!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I’m not sure of what flooring you mean, here’s what I know of flooring like you described?…. My friends bought vinyl floating flooring that was strips rather than squares. The seams did not hold up and it became uneven. I had prefinished wood floors put in and they are better than having wood put down then finished- except for the dreaded seams. I would be concerned about putting anything over carpeting as flooring does better on a solid surface. Plus you would have the smell of old carpet underneath and a bigger problem if water got through to the carpet. My experience with vinyl sheet- it works well…except I bought a pebbled surface thinking it would be less slippery. It holds the dirt too well….
I would also ask about the VOCs of linoleum esp if glue is used.
Congratulations on the new home. TD is going to be thrilled with his new room. Please post pics as it comes together.

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
This new linoleum, or minoleum, is all natural, from what I've read, with no VOC. I really wasn't planning on putting over the carpet...that was just part of it's "pros" according to the article I read. The carpet here is new, but that doesn't make me feel better about it, quite the opposite. And there's no trim, so the pile is already coming off at every edge. Idk what they painted the walls with, but don't try to clean them! I got a pencil mark on one and tried to wipe it off and it just smeared everything and the paint came off on the rag! I was thinking of asking @JLcribber for advice.

Thanks! I will post pictures! I'm hoping to adopt another cockatiel or two so I may move the bird room to what is now the storage room. That way I can actually close off the section of the house with the spare bathroom and two of the bedrooms. That would give any birds more than twice the space! So, I'd better make up my mind before getting started! I say, just make the whole house completely bird safe, but that would take a really long time! Not to mention a real big chunk of change!

Last edited:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
This video has some nice heads up things about bird rooms, if you wanted to check it out.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Has anyone used (or are using) this air purifier/humidifier combo?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have not used the linoleum but other than the materials used to make it it seems like vinyl. It's soft so you have to have care to not rip it with sharp corners of heavy cages.

I have vinyl in my bird room. It cleans easily and is waterproof.