• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird room question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Right now I have Tiki in the livingroom, so no matter where I am in the house he can see and interact with me, unless I'm sleeping in the bedroom of course.

So I have a few concers if I ever implement a bird room,

first concern is how Tiki would adjust to not being able to see me, I may be spoiling him for the future by keeping him in the livingroom now.

And second my reason for using a bird room in the first place is so I can have the hope to add a second bird. I have my heart set on a goffin.

So my second concern is, with how needy cockatoos are, do any of you keep them in a bird room?

I will have a playstand in the livingroom for them, but may have to rotate them if they can't get along, plus I have to be respectful about noise levels, with my boyfriend who is not a bird person.

BF doesn't mind chattering, and Tiki is not loud, only when I'm fixing food for him, which he's starting to get quieter too. I have no idea how loud a goffin cockatoo is but I'm trying to prepare for the worst, because of the cockatoo reputation.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
My cockatoo is in my bird room, but that is also where I spend a bulk of my time, since I also have a desk and a computer down here. I rarely watch TV, so if I am home I am usually in the bird room with them. You could always buy an additional stand, so you would not have to rotate them out if you cannot add yourself a seating area in the bird room, that way they could both be out in the living area with you.

For me, having a bird room has me less stressed than if they were out in the house. I can keep our dog out of there, and it is entirely bird safe so I don't have to worry about someone getting into something they shouldn't or someone escaping out of my home.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
My birds are currently in the living room since I don't have a room to dedicate only to them.
However, this will change in December since I'll be moving to a bigger appartment with a second bedroom which will be the birds' room. I plan on having the cages in there as well as some hanging gyms. I will also have hanging gyms and stands in the living room so I'll be able to bring the birds out with me when I'll be there.

The good points of this "new" room (which I'm really looking forward to)? The birds will probably have more uninterrupted sleep at night. Although I close the lights and have the cages covered at night, my boyfriend and I still stay up later watching TV (which is turned down as much as we can and still be able to understand). When they'll have their room this will no longer be a distraction. Also I have a cat and she has more limited out-and-about time now, since she's not aloud to be with the birds when there is no one to supervise (unless the cages are covered). With the new bird room to which I'll just have to close the door, she'll be able to wander more freely for longer periods of time.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
I think there are pros and cons.

Pro Bird Room
  • Closed off from the rest of the house and therefore can be safer and quieter.
  • Longer and uninterupted sleep time.
  • Increases the probability of the fids being "cage-free".
  • Increases the probability of being flighted.
  • The mess, the destruction, the noise is contained.
Con Bird Room
  • Depending on the location of the bird room, there is a chance of less interaction then if the birds are in a central location.
I have done both. The Goffins did fine having their own room. They were definitely less loud because they weren't constantly vocalizing with and for the various peoples passing through the main rooms.

And when they were loud; it was at least muffled enough by closed doors that it didn't interrupt conversations or TV shows.

BUT... I missed them AND I like their noise and chaos. I didn't build my big beautiful house so I can go sit in one room.

So I compromised. They have their play area in the main part of the house that can be seen by all the primary rooms AND they have a secondary "sleep" cage in the sunny laundry room.

Those times when a household occupant can no longer stand the yelling, throwing of food and toys, etc.., that person can move The G2s to play in the laundry room cage.

Keep in mind a G2's scream is particularly piercing. There are some people who are really bothered by it EVEN through closed doors.

Last edited:

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I am planning on soundproofing the room too.

If I don't go all out my cockatoo dream will never come true LOL

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My birdroom/aviaries are adjoining my rumpus room where I spend most of my time. I try to make it the best of both worlds. Separate but together if you will. :D

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
We've had birdrooms in our last 2 houses here in FL. I enjoy having a birdroom b/c it does eliminate some of the noise, mess and neediness. It allows our birds to become more independent and be birds.

I have 3 umbrella cockatoos. Our birdroom does NOT allow us to be able to leave all 3 of them out ~ my female, Zoe, goes after my male, Woody ... thus making it a requirement that she be locked up (she can let herself into his cage).

We still have playstands in every room of our house and several of the birds do go w/ us from one room to another. But our birds are used to the birdroom. Additionally, having the birdroom has eleviated the need for us to cover the birds at night too. All of our large cages are 4x5x6 or larger, so covering was always a pain.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Our set up is so different. where I am in the bungalow the birds are.
If I am in the back with the kitchen and dining room area they are in the adjoining conservatory and able to see me and interact.
Evenings they spend out in the sittingroom with the family and have their time.
Come 8,30pm they are wheeled to the far end of the bungalow to their room and covered and left in darkness until morning when Rambo wakes the whole household. Steve is first out the door to work so he takes it upon himself to uncover the birds and chat to them all.
Us oldies being retired sit up in bed next door drinking our first cuppa of the day and chatting to them through the open doors.
Then while I am up and preparing our breakfast, Dad is wheeling them all out and the daily routine starts all over again.
In Summer nice weather we all end up outdoors in the garden for the day.
Bad weather like now, all stay indoors and do our own thing!:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I worked out a long time ago why it is that Rambo is the one to wake us all up.
because he was an abused bird before we fostered him, he was left for days covered and not bothered with even to give him clean food and water. What he had when I picked him up was worse than disgusting, and he was near death.
Think it brings back bad memories to stay covered and alone, so as soon as his little peepers open he wants to interact with us to feel safe and loved. If that iswhat he wants then that is what he will get! no more sadness for this dear little bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.