• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird red spot on body

dephoro

Moving in
Real Name
dep
Hi, i got a bird and hes around 1.5 months old and is still on formula, and has a spot on his body that doesnt have feathers and looks like hes either molting or injured but im not sure

Attachments

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hi Dephoro,

Do you think you could get a better picture of the red spot? It's really tough to see in these pictures.
Do you have a vet nearby that you could take the baby to if you need to do so?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!

Did the spot just appear or did it develop over a period of days?

Are there any other birds or animals in the home that can access your bird?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
6 weeks? He's still a fledgling, so he won't be fully feathered yet. Have you seen him crash when he's trying to fly? Has he fallen? The leading edges of the wings always take damage with such accidents.
I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

dephoro

Moving in
Real Name
dep
Hi, my bird has a new pink spot on his feathers and doesnt has featheres over there, hes nearly 7 weeks old and is still being handfed with formula

I didnt notice this spot around 2 weeks ago but is new and he has lost the feathers over there, im not sure if its from molting or hes injured because hes pretty good at flying right now, and has hit himself a few times, so it may be from that

Attachments

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
If he’s getting multiple bald red spots you might want to see a vet. If you’re not sure where there’s one near you then tell us where you are and we’ll work to help you find one.

dephoro

Moving in
Real Name
dep
If he’s getting multiple bald red spots you might want to see a vet. If you’re not sure where there’s one near you then tell us where you are and we’ll work to help you find one.
Its only one till now theres not more than one

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@dephoro I have merged your threads to keep all replies to this one topic in one place.

Did your bird previously have feathers in the spot you’re seeing that is bare?
I’m almost willing to bet he did not…. I’m wondering if what you’re seeing is where the joint is in the wing.

dephoro

Moving in
Real Name
dep
@dephoro I have merged your threads to keep all replies to this one topic in one place.

Did your bird previously have feathers in the spot you’re seeing that is bare?
I’m almost willing to bet he did not…. I’m wondering if what you’re seeing is where the joint is in the wing.
yes he did have feathers in this spot before, but would this now affect his flying, and should i just let him heal on his own by not flying for a bit?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It does look like he has had a bump. Young tiels are often unsteady on their feet and will often fall from perches, so it's always best to start them off with just a few low perches until they have had more practice and can perch securely. Those feathers will grow back.

dephoro

Moving in
Real Name
dep
oh
It does look like he has had a bump. Young tiels are often unsteady on their feet and will often fall from perches, so it's always best to start them off with just a few low perches until they have had more practice and can perch securely. Those feathers will grow back.
oh okay, but does it look like he's severely hurt or anything?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No one can tell you that without examining the bird, checking the extent of the wound, checking whether there's any bruising and examining the range of motion of the wing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those feathers will grow back.
Yea, can see a couple of small pin feathers coming in already.

Definitely not a moult at only 2 months old. As other said, likely a bump or some sort of accident. Monitor and take you bird to the vet if you see more patches like this or the feathers don´t grow back properly.