• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird proofing balcony?

olivierr1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Olivier
Has anyone here netted their balcony for their birds to sit in?

I have an apartment with quite a large balcony and my birds aren't at the point I can take them out with a harness yet.
I have seen some kits that will completely cover any little gap with stainless steel mesh but has anyone done this and is it recommended?

I would love for my bird to spend more time in the sun, especially in the current heat.. but he does not like the travel cage at all, and that's what I use to put him outside.

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe if you safely net the entire balcony!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had the flying room screened with welded ss wire And mosquito screen outside and also inside because I didn’t want them climbing the wire due to a cat. Didn’t use a kit. Great idea to screen your balcony!

Ali

Rollerblading along the road
Dorset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
Real Name
Alistair
@Marino maybe you could do this too? After Marino's little trip the other day. Maybe he likes it outdoors, so a screened balcony would be cool!

Sorry to hijack!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Has anyone here netted their balcony for their birds to sit in?

I have an apartment with quite a large balcony and my birds aren't at the point I can take them out with a harness yet.
I have seen some kits that will completely cover any little gap with stainless steel mesh but has anyone done this and is it recommended?

I would love for my bird to spend more time in the sun, especially in the current heat.. but he does not like the travel cage at all, and that's what I use to put him outside.

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe if you safely net the entire balcony!
It’s only safe if the bird is supervised while out there.

It’s completely doable to enclose a balcony. Not with a bunch of strips and pieces of stuff. What you need is a “seamless” enclosure. This is achieved by getting a roll of game farm netting (with the appropriate spacing) and basically creating a balloon where there is no escape.

Like this but probably smaller spacing. A roll of that and a staple gun to put it up and your done. Not permanent but effective.

Reactions: tka