• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Politics (Lol)

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
So, I currently own a Bourke's (male, named Cri-Kee from Mulan) and a Turquoisine (female, named Tinkerbell), and they are getting along very well, and I don't have to worry about hybrids because Bourke's only mate with other Bourke's, but they are slowly co-bonding very well. Both are very tamed, though flightly, will come to me; half of the time on command, and I'm able to handle them, though it's not their favorite.

I have a Budgie (female - half English/Regular) coming and also a Male Cockatiel, both are also going to be hand-tamed (as they were both handfed). So these are my questions, and I'd like some input from those who have owned most of these birds (I've never owned a Cockatiel b4).

1) Will it be okay to cage them together? The cage is decently sized (I think) - 17.9L x 17.9W x 30.3H. I understand Grass parakeets are much gentler than Budgies and Cockatiels, with Budgies, at least from my experience, a bit more active and sometimes bossier. Cockatiels seems to be more like 50/50.

2) Will these birds form alliances, meaning if my Budgie and Cockatiel become better bonded than my other two, I'm afraid the balance of power between them will be too much the Budgie-Cockatriel as they have both feistiness & size in their favor and they will be able to bully the grasskeets even more? Or should I balance them out by caging the Budgie and Bourke together, and the Turquiosine and the Cockatiel? Not sure, and then eventually put them all together in the big cage. I only have one area to put the bird cage in my apartment. However, they do have access to a large indoor play area that's going to be 16 feet long, 6 feet wide and 10 feet high.

Basically, I just want them all to get along (I have a Lovebird too, and I'm keeping him separately for sure) and has his own time. I indoor free-flight my birds in my apartment, apt. hallway when I know it's least busiest, and also in large indoor places (like gymns, studios, batting cages), and i want them to fly as a flock, which I know can happen from watching my free flight mentor fly his parrots/parakeets from Budgie to Hahn's Macaw.

Thoughts...i can't have 3 cages in the apartment, so I can only have 2 cages (1 for the Lovebird, and 1 LARGE one for the 4 of them). I can't also risk putting a cage in the playroom as it's a converted balcony, and if there's a power failure, I don't want my birds to freeze to death if I'm not home and they are there.

Regards...

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
I’m sorry but keeping all of them together in that small of a cage is not in their best interest. Species are best housed separately or with conspecifics to avoid fights and bullying. You might be able to get away with housing all 4 in a large aviary with lots of room, but in a tiny cage there will be problems. I am assuming the measurements are in inches? The cage size is barely enough for 3 budgies let alone larger birds.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Sorry, that is the cage I have for the Lovebird.

but this is the custom cage a friend of mine is building...
1668369209657.png

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
The biggest bird of all 4 of them is the Cockatiel obviously...the Budgies/Bourke/Turq are the same sizes, with just some fluffier feathers and longer-tail.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
For me I would not house a budgie with your other birds. They can be out together for supervised playtime. budgie can be a bit too feisty for your other birds