• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Is Very Ill (A Pikachu Update)

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
So I've been posting quite a bit about my budgie Pikachu's health since my other budgie Loki, passed away. Sadly, we've been watching his health decline since Loki's death. He started repetitively pulling apart blood feathers and being quiet and lethargic. That was grief. Then, we saw the health problems grow into something a lot more insidious seeming. He started puffing his feathers up and sleeping near constantly. We took him to the vet yesterday, and he had lost a MASSIVE amount of weight in a matter of a week. The vet gave him an injection of antibiotics and fluids to try and get him through until we can see them again next Monday. We woke up this morning to him very puffed up and sleepy, not eating etc.

Long story short, he's not looking good :(

We've been heating his cage to keep him warm for over a week now, and were really just hoping that the antibiotics kick in and help him through this, but things really aren't looking good for him right now :(

Thanks for reading this, I really don't know what advice or info is really left for this anymore, but thanks for being here, I appreciate it a lot ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would personally be calling the vet today and also I would probably consider giving some spark to help support him while he is unwell.

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
I would personally be calling the vet today and also I would probably consider giving some spark to help support him while he is unwell.

We are giving him a similar product (not the same, but similar, what we are using provides both liquids and various other boosters to help pull him through) In fact, we just gave him a dose of it now.

The issue with where I live is that veterinary care for birds is more difficult than you'd think. I personally have lived over two years with my birds and have been lucky enough to have had few to no health issues, so only now am i discovering the full extent of my local areas lack of emergency avian care. And it is stressing me out majorly to be honest.

Our vet is only in three days out of the week and a large amount of the other vets surrounding ether do not take birds, or only have avian vets on certain days. Emergency only has avian vets on some days as well. It's incredibly irritating and is causing me a lot of stress.

I've been spending the past few weeks (since Loki passed) looking for as many vets that accept avians as I can so I can have a long emergency list to call through for any future problems, but I haven't had enough time between Loki getting sick to now to have that list functioning in any sort of beneficial way.

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
I would probably consider giving some spark to help support him while he is unwell.

Do you think that it would be beneficial to see if I can go out and get some Spark to give him as well so we can get as many fluids into him as possible right now?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he will be ok.