• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda & Stella

Walking the driveway
Wasn't sure where to post this!

Is anyone in the area of Syracuse/Fulton NY??
My DIL went on a service call for an appliance and saw a large white bird with yellow feathers on its head {I'm thinking SC2 or LSC} in a very small filthy cage with no perch and hidden back in a dark room.
SPCA won't do anything, my DIL can't do anything or will lose her job.
ANY ideas?? or anyone near the area that could knock on the persons door with some kind of story to see if they can buy the bird? {I can get an address}
I'm too far away :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm too far away, too, but want to bump this for you.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What about calling the police? Surely they have some kind of law on the books to confiscate a animal who's being treated inhumanely? Are there any bird shelters around there, any sanctuaries?

Ginger

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What about calling the police? Surely they have some kind of law on the books to confiscate a animal who's being treated inhumanely? Are there any bird shelters around there, any sanctuaries?

Ginger

Most animal control laws only have food and water as minimum levels of care for birds, if that even.

Brenda & Stella

Walking the driveway

Ginger
already did that, they are of no help, can't do anything:( unless you submit a claim, and take them to court which will take 90 days :(

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Is there anyone in the area here on AA who would pay something for the bird? If so, maybe your DIL could contact the owners of the 'too and say something like "I have a friend who likes to have parrots, and noticed you have one. Would you be interested in selling?" or would even doing that (being a go-between) get her in trouble? I know this is less than ideal as we'd all like the owners to be held accountable, but that doesn't sound likely to happen. Maybe for the sake of the bird, being friendly and waving a few bucks around would get the poor thing out of there.

Situations like this is why I'm getting MIGHT DISCOURAGED with the whole parrrot-keeping world. How many parrots are languishing like this one? I'm betting it's an appalling high number.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
You should be discouraged by bad pet owners in general in that case - there are a lot of other animals suffering too. :( Some people just don't care. It is very very sad. I wish there was more education out there so people could really learn what they are getting into before they dive in.

I hope someone can help this baby. How sad. :( I'm thinking money might help too. Doesn't seem like they want the bird anyway so they may just appreciate it being gone. Your DIL should ask about the bird anyway and just politely see what the situation is. If she's not rude about it I don't see why she would lose her job. Maybe they'll see her interest and offer the bird.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I do live in that area, but unfortunately am not in a position to help. Your DIL could get in touch with this organization: LoveMyparrots.com If they can't help directly, they may be able to offer some suggestions.

Brenda & Stella

Walking the driveway
I do live in that area, but unfortunately am not in a position to help. Your DIL could get in touch with this organization: LoveMyparrots.com If they can't help directly, they may be able to offer some suggestions.
She is gonna try to go over there today!! :) I sent her the info; just waiting to hear an update.

animallover

Jogging around the block
How sad! Poor baby. It isn't the animal keeping people in general that are bad, it's the bad people who keep animals and abuse them. I have found most people who own animals treat them very well. It's just some people give the rest a bad name. I hope you can get the bird out of there, sounds like they don't want it. I agree maybe if your DIL throws a little green around it might be just the ticket out of there for that poor creature. Good luck and please keep us posted. Worried here!

Status
Not open for further replies.