• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird got to a cookie, possibly chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
I posted about my conure laying eggs a few days ago. She laid it fine. When checking her for another just now I set her on the desk and she took off. I totally forgot I had a cookie on the opposite side of the desk (we don't normally have food and she wanders around all the time). It's an oatmeal cookie with white chocolate. I heard her munching on it and I think she may have gotten a bite of the white chocolate.

I'm not sure though. Is the sugar bad for her? What about the chocolate? I'm not sure if this is an emergency or not but I'd like to put it here in case it is. Is there anything I can do to watch her?

The cookie was already bitten down on so I'm not sure where she went for. She wasn't going at it for more than some seconds and flew away before I could check what was in her mouth. I don't have immediate access to a vet right now unless it's absolutely needed.

:confused:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
She's fine. The small amount she may have eaten won't harm her. You can give her a little peanut butter which may help coat it and move it along. :)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Despite its moniker, white chocolate is, by definition, not chocolate as it does not contain cocoa solids, the primary nutritional constituent of chocolate liquor. During the manufacturing process, the dark-colored solids of the cacao bean are separated from its fatty content (as with milk, semi-sweet, and dark chocolate) but, unlike conventional chocolates, the cocoa solids are not later recombined. As a result, white chocolate does not contain the antioxidant properties or many characterizing ingredients of chocolate, such as thiamine, riboflavin, theobromine, phenylethylamine, and serotonin.
I also agree she should be fine!:hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Nibbles lives up to her name:hug8:

I believe it's the theobromine that animals can't metabolize.

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Good to know about white chocolate.

BF you so smart :D.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Yep, I think I read somewhere that dogs would have to eat about 5-10 pounds of white chocolate to do any harm, so I am sure a few chips will not hurt her. The dark bakers chocolate on the other hand, is very toxic. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic. The caffeine in the chocolate is also harmful.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad shes ok:)
Someone give BF the award for most knowledgable info.

Status
Not open for further replies.