• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird flu.?

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
is it possible bird flu can spread from fruits and veggies? What if sick birds crapped on the crop,
Should I let my bird eat eggs, what if a sick bird laid them ,

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea, but the first confirmed case in a wild bird was yesterday here. :(

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The virus is shed in droppings, so if produce is contaminated and not cleaned well, and served raw, then I think there could be a risk. You'd have to decide what the risk is of wild birds in your area, or the area where produce is grown, having Avian flu. This hasn't been addressed by the media as far as I can find. I don't know how long the virus is viable on surfaces. It sounds like it is transmissible by touch as well as respiratory.
As a gardener who also provides habitat for wild birds, I'd like to know more on this topic

eggs should be safe if properly handled.

"Proper handling and cooking provides protection against avian influenza and other viruses and bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli. Thoroughly cooking poultry meat and eggs provides therefore further safety assurance in the unlikely event that H5N1 virus be present in raw poultry products entering the food chain. The H5N1 virus is sensitive to heat. Normal temperatures used for cooking (70oC in all parts of the food - check with a food thermometer) will kill the virus. Consumers need to be sure that all parts of the poultry are fully cooked (no "pink" parts) and that eggs, too, are properly cooked (no "runny" yolks). The H5N1 virus, if present in poultry meat, is not killed by refrigeration or freezing. The virus is sensitive to disinfectants and as with bacteria, good hygienic practices (disinfection of surfaces and good personal hygiene, particularly hand washing) will help control this hazard. "

https://www.eufic.org/en/food-safety/article/avian-influenza-is-it-safe-to-eat-poultry-meat-and-eggs

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Will you still feed your birds veggies for now ?
I’d like to no if an ultrasonic or an ozone veggie cleaning machine would work