• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird disease percentages

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Joined
1/13/19
Messages
843
Just out of curiosity, I've read that 80% of diseases in pet birds are due to bad diets, is this true? Does anyone know what the other 20% is caused by? I want to raise healthy birds, so it would be good to know this stuff.
Thanks
 

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
24,515
Location
Northern Mitten Michigan
Real Name
Shawna
I don't know the actual numbers but yes, most illnesses (some of which are diseases) are caused by poor diet.

Heart disease can be from diet and lack of exercise (as for a clipped and/or bird caged most of the time)

Then you have bacterial from water, unclean cages, etc.

Fungal from poor air quality, feeding infected food.

Metal poisoning from using things besides nickel plating or stainless steel.

Viruses from other birds or born with it.

 
Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Joined
1/13/19
Messages
843
Yeah that's what i thought, for me most of these things can be avoided (hopefully) Thanks Mizzely
 

Hankmacaw

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Joined
10/18/09
Messages
10,067
Location
Arizona
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't forget Vitamin A deficiency, which is still the most frequent illness that vets see in companion birds.

Also, it is hard to say what is the most frequent illness in companion birds as only 10% of them are seen by a vet during their lifetime.
 

Hankmacaw

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Joined
10/18/09
Messages
10,067
Location
Arizona
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One of the very best additions you can make to your parrot's diet is Red Palm Oil. I don't remember what species of parrot you have, but I give my 1100gm GW female 0.4cc per day, every day. You will be astounded what RPO does for feather quality.

Here is Dr. Harrison's article about Red Palm Oil;
SUNSHINE FACTOR – Here are the facts | Harrison's Bird Foods

Here are the nutritional values of RPO
Average nutritional value
per 100 g
Energy 3768 kJ
900 kcal
Fat
100 g
Of which saturates 50 g
Of which mono-unsaturates 39 g
Of which polyunsaturates 11 g
Carbohydrates 0 g Of which sugars 0 g
Fibre 0 g
Protein 0 g
Salt 0 g
Vitamin E (208% RDI) 25 mg
Vitamin A (937% RDI) 7500 µg
 

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Joined
1/13/19
Messages
843
Well, i used to own birds, and i am getting new ones either Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or budgies. Still not sure, but i really want to give them a long happy life :) I will see if i can find some of that Red palm oil, thanks for showing me this!
 

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Joined
1/13/19
Messages
843
Yeah i will look for that!

I found this video about caring for sick birds, but i don't trust it. The kid doing it had a really sick budgie, he took its water away for an hour so that it would be thirsty, then gave it back with apple cider vinegar in it. That's not what you do is it? I mean like taking a sick birds water away could dehydrate them wouldn't it? I am trying to be prepared for if my birds get sick. Thanks
 

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Joined
1/13/19
Messages
843
Agreed, watching that video.... so sad. There was a budgie really sick with like 10 others in this tiny cage that had rust all over.... really sad.

Even more sad, cause that's the same color my budgie was :sorrow:
 
Last edited:

faislaq

I have a macaw and don't post enough photos
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Joined
10/25/16
Messages
12,865
Location
Texas
Real Name
Karen
Probably a bacterial infection or metal toxicity judging by that cage.... :(
 
Top