• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird cage hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Kyli
I will be getting a new pet sun conure on Monday and I just bought him a huge cage (this is the model http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-9424831t300x300.jpg) . After I got it in the house I realized that the width between the bars is 1" and I got worried that a sunny might be able to stick his head through the bars and get stuck. Should I be worried about this?
Thanks in advance

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
That's way too big bar spacing IMO.

My blue crown's cage has 3/4" bar spacing and I think that may even be a little big for a sun. I'd def return the cage and get one with smaller bar spacing.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
In some websites I found that 1" is acceptable for a sun conure, but others say 3/4" and one even said 1/2" ... Personally, I would not go with 1" for a sunnie. It definitely seems too large. I'm with Erica on this one, see if you can return the cage and get another.

I recommend looking at Kathie's cages. You get a 10% discount and free shipping for being a member: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/Products-CAGES.html

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He *might* be okay in the cage, but there's no way to know until you put him in and he's lived in it for a long time. I know someone who keeps his sun conure in a double macaw cage with no issues.

That said, a cage that may be safe for one bird could be dangerous to enough of the same species.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
I wouldn't be comfortable putting a sun or similar sized bird in a cage with 1" spacing, personally. The bird could get its head stuck.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would absolutely not put a sun in a cage with 1" bar spacing. The CAGs have 1" bar spacing and Zena could get in there if she really tried. If a sun was inside a cage with that size bar spacing, the bigger concern would be them getting their head stuck. I wouldn't do it for any length of time. Return the cage and get one with smaller spacing. I love flight cages for smaller conures because they give them a ton of room for the price.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, Olive is twice the size of a Sun and I consider her to be just barely large enough for 1" spacing. It would be fine for a larger conure, but not for a Sun I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.