• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Billie Faye's Birdy Bread for evening feeding.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Basic corn bread mix is eggs/butter/sugar/salt/baking powder/milk/corn meal/flour
So for my birds this is what I do…
Eggs, Canola oil (small amount of Red Palm oil would do OR you can leave out the oil and put in homemade applesauce instead), Red Pepper flakes, Cayenne pepper, Cinn. Powder. I use Cranraisins with the Alfalfa bread
For my liquid I use what ever…meaning if I have cooked the Barley and lentils/spilt peas, I save that water and use it…you can use OJ/water…what ever liquid other than milk you want.. To know that I have the amount needed, the batter should POUR into the pan not plop in as being stiff…
I use NON aluminum baking powder
Corn meal
Flour is a combination of UNBLEACHED flour, whole Wheat flour, Rye Flour, Buckwheat flour and on occasion I will also add oat flakes (makes the bread DENSE but that is OK…
Now I have also said I don’t use pellets for my birds BUT I do buy Organic Alfalfa pellets and put in about 3 TBS in ½ cup hot water and this makes a mixture I add to one of the breads I make…
the other bread is PUMKIN bread and I use 1 cup of 100% pumpkin (not the pie cans type)
Now to this mixture I add cooked Barley, cooked lentils, cooked split peas( all have been cooked for 15 mins and drained.)
I also add ANY left over wet food from the AM feeding that was not fed to the birds…
I dust my sheet pans with oil and then put on either corn meal or flour to prevent sticking and gives a crust.
These two are baked for 45 mins in a 350º oven.
Taken out and cooled to be cut in the evening for feeding…
Now sometimes when they come out of the oven, I will spread Red Palm Oil over the top of each and let it soak in….
Here are the pictures of what I did today….:hug8:

Attachments

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Oh I really like that density!

I like adding fresh quinoa sprouts to the batter. I do that for the human multigrain bread that I make too.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Sprouts are great in this type of bread...I use my sheet pans to make these and the don't really rise high but the birds like it so much better than the "airy" cake type..
The idea is to add ANYTING you want to the BASIC batter...I have so much fun mixing things up to see what they like....:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks BF, I have copied this down to give it a try tomorrow

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Oh I cant wait to try these bread recipes!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
looking great thanks for sharing

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:dancing:Thank you so much Billie Faye:dancing:{I was bugging her to post it} it looks wonderful! I did not know you could sprout Quinoa?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That sure looks yummy! Will have to try that but substitue other things for the protein.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
ill get all this later hun it looks good

Basic corn bread mix is eggs/butter/sugar/salt/baking powder/milk/corn meal/flour
So for my birds this is what I do…
Eggs, Canola oil (small amount of Red Palm oil would do OR you can leave out the oil and put in homemade applesauce instead), Red Pepper flakes, Cayenne pepper, Cinn. Powder. I use Cranraisins with the Alfalfa bread
For my liquid I use what ever…meaning if I have cooked the Barley and lentils/spilt peas, I save that water and use it…you can use OJ/water…what ever liquid other than milk you want.. To know that I have the amount needed, the batter should POUR into the pan not plop in as being stiff…
I use NON aluminum baking powder
Corn meal
Flour is a combination of UNBLEACHED flour, whole Wheat flour, Rye Flour, Buckwheat flour and on occasion I will also add oat flakes (makes the bread DENSE but that is OK…
Now I have also said I don’t use pellets for my birds BUT I do buy Organic Alfalfa pellets and put in about 3 TBS in ½ cup hot water and this makes a mixture I add to one of the breads I make…
the other bread is PUMKIN bread and I use 1 cup of 100% pumpkin (not the pie cans type)
Now to this mixture I add cooked Barley, cooked lentils, cooked split peas( all have been cooked for 15 mins and drained.)
I also add ANY left over wet food from the AM feeding that was not fed to the birds…
I dust my sheet pans with oil and then put on either corn meal or flour to prevent sticking and gives a crust.
These two are baked for 45 mins in a 350º oven.
Taken out and cooled to be cut in the evening for feeding…
Now sometimes when they come out of the oven, I will spread Red Palm Oil over the top of each and let it soak in….
Here are the pictures of what I did today….:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it looks fantastic but neither one of my fids will eat birdie bread. I've made it from scratch, from a mix, in a pan, in small muffins. They won't touch it, even when I eat it myself and make a big deal out of it.

Ginger

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Your birdie bread always looks so yummy BF that I want to try some :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
oo, awesome recipe! Thank you so much, BF! I will be trying this also soon!

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I always puree my vegetables, otherwise my birds will ignore most of them :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.