• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bilbo the Budgie has red around his eye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
Hello there I am new to this I have a budgie he is male his Left eye socket is red around the eye but not actually the eye he is blinking alot I have never had this problem before, he seems o.k in himself he is scratching it more than usual rubbing his face against the perches more any idea what I can do and will he be o.k please can anyone let me know asap. Thank you.

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
It is me again just updating with extra info bilbo now has 2 red eyes and is scratching alot any ideas any1 please can any one reply at all?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It sounds like either an infection or an irritant. The best suggestion I would be able to offer would be to consult your avian vet.

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
ok will do it just came on very sudden his eyes were ok earlier then when looking over him as I normally do he was scratching more and more and it started with 1 eye and now the other he seems ok in himself its just the scratching could it be an allergic reaction to something such as washing powder or detergent as I washed things today that he normally sits on when he is out of the cage, is the vet the only option is there anything I can do in the mean time?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Without knowing what could have caused it, it will be harder to make suggestions on how to resolve the issue. It definitely sounds like he got something in his eye or it is otherwise irritated. Besides washing, was there anything else that changed today?

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
no apart from i sprayed him with mite spray but I followed the directions on the bottle as in not to spray in his face and take out all food and water that sort of stuff and he was perfectly fine afterwards i did put some sanded perch covers in today he looks ok as I said but his eyes look sore and red should I was them out at all he just scratches alot i do not want him to hurt himself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does he actually have mites? If not, I would avoid spraying him with it. Its possible that he did get some in his eyes accidentally and that is what is causing the irritation.

I also would rethink sanded perch covers - those have shown to be quite useless at best and can cause problems with feet. IF you are looking for something to help with nails, I recommend these: Sweet Feet & Beak Safety Pumice Perch X-Small - PEDICURE PERCHES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

They work very well for my birds and are the best "pedicure" perch I've ever used!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldnt spray him, give him a bath and wash his eyes with some saline. (the kind you use for contacts). Hopefully that will help, but watch him and if it continues, call the vet.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you should NEVER EVER use mite spray that you purchase roff the shelves of any pet store..EVER..only use it if purchased from a veterinarian...never ever use mite blocks, or mite protectors or anything like that unless they are purchased from a vet...they are pure poison and should be taken off the shelves..looks like it irritated his eyes...you need to get him to a vet asap and also if this was not spray from a vet, bathe him and get it off him please....also do not use the spray unless he actually has mites..or an avian vet has given it to you to use..I cannot stress this enough.

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon. :hug8:

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
Just a quick update thank you everyone for your help with bilbo however I am taking him to the vets and awaiting treatment it seems it may be an infection as I first thought he has been scratching the skin off underneath his eye so it maybe serious. I hope he will be ok.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
:hug8:glad you're taking him in. I hope he feels better soon!:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
So glad you are bringing him to the vets.. Poor little guy.. Please let us know what happens.. :hug8:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Just a quick update thank you everyone for your help with bilbo however I am taking him to the vets and awaiting treatment it seems it may be an infection as I first thought he has been scratching the skin off underneath his eye so it maybe serious. I hope he will be ok.
Make sure you tell them about the mite spray and let them know what brand and everything.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I think a bath with spray bottle and spray around head to wash down over his eyes get any mite spray off him totally that I think stands to be the reason his eyes are irritated it is only new thing you have done.

bandit_id

Moving in
Real Name
Lee
I took him to the vest he had to have an injection some sort of anti-inflammatory, he is now fully better and and still being demonic in his own way thank you everyone for your help and support. by the way the anti-mite spray was prescription by vet. Well he is better now as I said and is in great health.

Status
Not open for further replies.