• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BIG Problem with aggression and Shoji..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear with the bites. Aside from yesterday, Shoji has never broken the skin on any child, ever. Not here anyways. He usually does warning nips that are startling, but simple communication of "Stop that". I talked to my fiance and we both thought it through and realized that it seems a lot of his aggression is stemming from a family friend who's child we watch every other weekend. Shoji seems to like our friend, but is TERRIFIED of his daughter. He's been trying to "gently" get them used to each other and his daughter jerks her hand back and squeals every time and for a couple days after, Shoji is extra aggressive with almost everyone. I think he's stressed about this little girl so we're going to let our friend know enough is enough and his child, for Shoji's sake, is no longer allowed to touch our bird with or without adult help. He's even taken to being extra nippy with my fiance after the visits. I don't allow kids to tease the birds by any means, but this little girl is just too jumpy for him (my kids don't flinch around the birds at all) and it is most likely the "cause" of what has been going on.
I was a bit worked up yesterday since it was the first time blood had been drawn.. While it is true my son is nipped 2-3x a week (no blood, no bruising), I do think most of it isn't just Shoji, nor is it just my son. We had no issues today. Shoji was doing his own thing and my son was doing his own thing, although I'm being more cautious to keep them apart by moving Shoji away from my son or vice versa, depending on the situation. Shoji can easily break skin on an adult (and has), so I do take into account that his typical nip does not break my son's skin or even bruise it so he isn't going for blood so much as saying "Stop" or "Go away".

I think you nailed it. Now that you have a possible cause you have a direction to proceed. :cool1:

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
I think the little girl really is the cause. Shoji's aggression has stopped completely..he's back to his normal self. You can tell when my fiance upsets him because he will give my fiance dirty looks and refuse to step up or give kisses. They don't always get along :p My daughter and Shoji ignore each other for the most part, but when they do interact it's good. I don't tolerate teasing in any way. And Shoji is definitely not used to jumpy hands.. neither of my kiddos have ever been jumpy with animals. I pride myself in that a bit. They learned respect and how to act pretty quickly. Although my son is more "wild" because his "best friend" is our cat who adores him. They're the same age and the cat will allow my son to play a little too roughly with her. We try to keep an eye on it, but her purring and rolling around onto her back when he's loving on her doesn't help :p Shoji's back to his Shoji self. He's on top of my laptop as I'm typing talking to himself and doing pretty wing displays. He's been a bit hormonal as well.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So glad you found the cause and things are settling down. :laughing12: