• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Big decision to make - need help. Do I go get Cocoa?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So...this is Cocoa. She is a gorgeous female Red Lored Amazon parrot who is 20-years-old and (reportedly) very sweet.
Parrot-1-200x300.jpg
She is also homeless right now. Her female owner loved her very much but when she passed away, her husband did not want to keep Cocoa so he surrendered her to a Humane Society. They say she is sweet and she lets them change her food and water and clean her cage without a fuss but she will not come out of her cage. She has stepped up once or twice but staff do not try to touch her as they do not want to chance a bite (although she has not attempted to bite) She fluffs up to warn people to back off but mostly just if startled. She likes attention and people to talk to her. She was adopted out to a family who brought her back 4 days later because she apparently attacked/chased a child all over the house (I blame the family on that one, not Cocoa and it was all chase, no bite and chasing on the floor as she is clipped)

So. I have two green cheeks. Amazons are my dream bird. Cocoa has had room mates and enjoys the company of other birds - chatting to them, but again has not come out at all when door left open. She loves toys and has a lot. I have an A&E flight cage and the people at the shelter seem to think it would be fine - she is currently in ferret cage. They were impressed at my knowledge although I think it is limited - it was much more than people have shown who turn in applications apparently (and I never once asked if she talks, LOL)

She has been thoroughly examined and blood tests done by an avian vet and gets a clean bill of health. They are just worried that the longer she is there, the more she regress.

Am I crazy for considering an Amazon when I have only had cockatiels and green cheeks? I am not keen on bites and have never been seriously bitten by my guys (I am on blood thinners) but she has not bitten anyone so far and seems to give good warning. She has never been flighted.

It is a three hour drive to the shelter. They have been giving me info on the phone and asking questions and suggest I come early, if Cocoa and I get along they think I could fill out the application - go to lunch and be accepted to take her in the afternoon. (They really want to see her get a good home). In order to ensure only serious offers, they are asking $650 for her. I pass all of their requirements so far but I know this is a big decision

So I need help. I know it is my decision but would appreciate good and bad scenario advice to help me see all angles. @Danita - you have the greenie meanies - any advice. @JLcribber, you give sage advice. Any amazon people or others?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love amazons... I'm not going to tell you not to do it.

We took in two blue front males, wild caught males, without an ounce of bird experience between us.

Since you are on blood thinners, I strongly suggest looking into stick training though.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
How is 20 years old in terms of hormones and established personality?

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
She's beautiful. We have a male Red Lored, he's 16 (we've had him since he was a baby). He can be a bit aggressive towards others when I'm around, but he is a very sweet, smart bird loaded with personality.

I hear females are a bit easier, so if I had bird experience I would go for it. Bo definitely displays a body language that will show if he's ready to get aggressive. I can read it quite well by now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Am I crazy for considering an Amazon when I have only had cockatiels and green cheeks?
Oh heck no. This is not an abused bird. It was loved. You have plenty of what it takes. I think it's a good fit.
How is 20 years old in terms of hormones and established personality?
Getting on the riper side of middle age. Hormones will always be a factor but especially the first couple seasons simply because it's a new world.

So when are you picking her up?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Follow your heart. If you have time and space and can afford it, go for it. Just keep in mind you will most likely need to have separate out of cage time with her and your GCC. I agree stick training would be a very good idea. And keep gauze pads handy for use as a pressure dressing just in case.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
It would be wonderful if you could adopt her.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh heck no. This is not an abused bird. It was loved. You have plenty of what it takes. I think it's a good fit.
I am so glad you said that! It was what I was thinking. The woman at the Humane Society said she thinks Cocoa is a sweet bird, she is just (of course) lost without her person. Her world is upside down and she must be grieving and then for that family to take for 4 days and return her!

I know we might not click but they want me to go tomorrow and if I did bring her home that would be ideal as I am off now until Wednesday.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I think it would be wonderful if you could give her a home. I had never had large parrots either (in fact I just had budgies and a Tiel) and then I saw an ad for a little, starved and broken blue and gold scarlet hybrid macaw, drove two hours to him and picked him up. He was horribly abused, picked up by his head, swung and kept in an empty dog kennel his entire young life. He had a toe ripped off and his beak crushed in from a larger macaw. And the second I saw him in person he jumped into my arms and he was mine. He may always have issues but we work on them everyday and he basically (along with my kids) owns my heart.
Especially with this amazon being loved so recently, I think she just needs some comfort and patience and the love you seem very able to provide. :)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
@MiniMacaw - and everyone thanks so much for your kind words.

Cricket is my only concern but I can provide separate time and set up a visual divider. I have an extra cage and an extra travel cage and a tree so the main set up is all here. Of course, Cricket is being his mind-reader self and being extra velcro tonight but normally he only visits me and his main attention is on Watson ( who still doesn't fly)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Go get her.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

Cricket is my only concern but I can provide separate time and set up a visual divider. I have an extra cage and an extra travel cage and a tree so the main set up is all here. Of course, Cricket is being his mind-reader self and being extra velcro tonight but normally he only visits me and his main attention is on Watson ( who still doesn't fly)

Cricket and Watson are the "IT COUPLE " that's a good thing! this way it wont be so hard on them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh my GOSH she looks just like the one I was thinking of adopting (which everyone talked me out of).

So you see, the forum does have your best interests at heart, your answer was different than my answer. GO GET HER.

I will tell you I found her more stand-offish than my own fids. That may not be the right word. It was like yeah, I will step up for you but I don't know you. The next time she turned her back on me (someone had moved her into a floor level cage though). The 3rd time we hung out and she squealed, talked, and considered moving off the chair to a nearby play stand. The 4th time she didn't want to come out, that was the day after the hurricane, the place flooded, they moved 'em all out, they brought 'em back in and that's when I came in. So I didn't push it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on how things go during your visit with her. Hope that you click and you can take her home with you.
Being in her 20s shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like she is very sweet. My two Amazons are polar opposites, Casey is very friendly and Shannon would love to bite me. Casey is fine with other birds but Shannon is not.
Hope things work out for you & Cocoa.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW...what a story ...you will never forgive yourself if you don't go try for this girlie ...she sounds like a great bird ...I got my Lagatha from the Humane Society she is a Blue Front ...she was from a hoarded home and has many issues but she has my heart ...this girlie will have yours and yes you do have enough skill / birdness or whatever it will take to look after her plus you have AA ...go get her ;)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Depends on how things go during your visit with her. Hope that you click and you can take her home with you.
Being in her 20s shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like she is very sweet. My two Amazons are polar opposites, Casey is very friendly and Shannon would love to bite me. Casey is fine with other birds but Shannon is not.
Hope things work out for you & Cocoa.
I agree you should visit her and see if you click. I don't have much experience with Amazons but the sweet ones I have met have such a unique and corky charm about them. From what I know is they're not known to be super cuddly and they have a independent streak in them. But the sweet ones I've met were a joy to be around. :)

I believe @melissasparrots has a lot experience with them. I think it would good to hear from her

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

You can keep almost any kind of birds with any other kind of birds as long as you setup that environment for them to succeed and adapt as you go. Over time they will become a (dysfunctional :) ) flock. They will all benefit from each others company whether from near or far.