• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best pellets for cockatiels?

burntsaliv

Moving in
So I had my first vet appointment with my birds and she said they're overweight because of their diet. I know Harrison's is the best but it's quite pricey. I heard of Zupreem and Kaytee but are they good when transitioning from seed to pellet? My cockatiels are both 3 and they definitely eat and enjoy vegetables like cilantro, broccoli, apples, corn. There's also the option where I can buy the Harrison's small pack and mix it with Kaytee or something. I don't know and please let me know!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best pellet is the one that your bird will eat, do well on, and that fits your budget :) I personally have had a lot of success using Zupreem Fruity to convert seed eaters to pellets. I prefer it to Kaytee just because I don't care for some of their history (Kaytee used to or possibly still does have a lot of breeding mills for birds), but I understand Kaytee sometimes can be easier to find.

There are SO many options for pellets. Harrison's is awesome but its not a good fit for every situation.

Here is a comparison of pellets if you are interested :) Pellets for Parrots

Also don't cut seeds completely for your bird! Seeds are a healthy part of the diet for cockatiels :)

burntsaliv

Moving in
The best pellet is the one that your bird will eat, do well on, and that fits your budget :) I personally have had a lot of success using Zupreem Fruity to convert seed eaters to pellets. I prefer it to Kaytee just because I don't care for some of their history (Kaytee used to or possibly still does have a lot of breeding mills for birds), but I understand Kaytee sometimes can be easier to find.

There are SO many options for pellets. Harrison's is awesome but its not a good fit for every situation.

Here is a comparison of pellets if you are interested :) Pellets for Parrots

Also don't cut seeds completely for your bird! Seeds are a healthy part of the diet for cockatiels :)
Oooh I think I will also use Zupreem fruity and mix with seed! Thank you for letting me know!

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I use nutribird supplimented with various veggies throughout the day!
I also use the budgie sized ones as my tiels can't crunch or dosn't like the bigger sizes meant for cockatiels. :)

also cockatiels shouldn't live off of only pellets and only seeds but a mix of those two. (almost like 50/50) I have had great sucess with it, veggies throughout the day is also a really good idea as it has many benefits for your tiel

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was going to say what @Mizzely did- whatever one they will eat. LOL. A lot of tiels like nutriberries.