• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Mimic?

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone! First, I would like to preface this question with reassuring everyone that I would not get a parrot just because of their ability to mimic. Now on to the question.

I’m curious if anyone has any insight on which bird is the best mimic. When I say mimic, I’m not trying to refer to human speech but rather sounds and maybe other birds. I also know that every bird is different and generalizations aren’t usually recommended. However, I do believe that some species simply have the ability, while other birds lack it.

Thank you in advance

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Ravens, and mockingbirds mimick sounds pretty well. It's difficult to know.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hi, like you said you should never get a bird just because they mimic or talk, but I have found my cockatiel is very good at whistling and have heard amazons talk very well. Hope this helps ;)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Supposedly the largest vocabulary was a lone budgie, but I think most budgies wouldn't want to live alone. And it depends on what you mean: that budgie (Disco on YouTube) sounded very much like a bird despite speaking English. Some birds sound human. Others make convincing noises. Still others are argued to use words in context. Those are four different skills & there are doubtless others.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This would depend if you are talking about parrots only or all birds. As far as parrots go I would think it would be African greys and amazons- I think they are possibly the best mimicking parrots that I can think of.

Some birds sound just like birds copying other sounds and some sound just like the thing they are copying.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd say African Greys. Ours can imitate our U2 and B&G Macaw to a T. Our CAG also talks, whistles, beeps like heavy machinery backing up (had a neighbor that was shocked, as he really thought is was machinery making the sound & not her), etc. She relates sounds, words, etc., to items & actions as well. CAG's are highly intelligent.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mynah birds, crows, Ravens, mockingbirds, anything in the family Mimidae family including thrashers and catbirds.

The superb lyrebird:

As for parrots, African Greys are definitely accomplished. My Jardine's perfectly replicates cell phone ringtones, telephone rings, fire alarms, microwaves, and other beeps and sounds. I've heard some very good Amazon mimics too.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My orange winged Amazon cannot imitate human speech properly, but he's a perfectionist when other bird calls are concerned. I have noticed wild cuckoo and crow get confused when Inca mimics their call :lol: . So, I think it's a huge spectrum and very difficult to choose one species.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I've seen quite a few videos of parrots and personally I would have to say African Grey would be the best mimics. They can come out with quite alot of sounds and clear vocalizations.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
African Grey's can often talk really well. But little budgies can be amazing too. I think for tunes, male tiels might be the best whistlers. I have seen some Amazons that can mimic really well too.