• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best food mix for linnie? also cleaning stuff

Tisumi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loran
Hello again! I am wondering what are some of the best seed mixes out there for linnies? along with some good ideas for treats and what not to give them. I just want to make sure Bastion will have a healthy diet and also need to work it into my budget. I know they tend to get weighty quickly so easy on the sugars in fruits and plenty of veggies and I hear they like cooked beans too. Is there anything I should NOT give them? On a second note what can I clean his cage with? and my room around his cage that won't hurt him?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know @April doesn't feed seeds to her linnie, only Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine pellets and veggies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely is correct. He came to me on a cheap seed mix from the petstore and it took me 3 weeks to convert him to pellets. I noticed a massive improvement in his poops and feathers after he'd been switched. He hasn't really liked any fruits but I know a lot of them love apple in limited quantities.

I

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be willing to give him Nutriberries or safflower seeds I just haven't done so yet but those are treats and the only seed I'd be comfortable feeding personally cause I'm more minimalistic and stringent when it comes to treats same with my dog. I'm very careful to only feed low calorie healthy things.

Tisumi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Loran
I'd be willing to give him Nutriberries or safflower seeds I just haven't done so yet but those are treats and the only seed I'd be comfortable feeding personally cause I'm more minimalistic and stringent when it comes to treats same with my dog. I'm very careful to only feed low calorie healthy things.
thank you for the response! what about the cleaning supplies for and for around his cage?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I clean his cage with hot water and dawn dish soap on those hard spots. But I spot clean every day with a rag with hot water and once a week I put his tray and grate in the shower and give them a good scrubbing. I use dish towels all around the outside of his cage to catch all the scraps of food,feathers and toy debris and shake them out each day to keep everything fresh

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I clean with vinegar/water (50/50), nature's miracle cage cleaner, F10 disinfectant, or Force of Nature. Enzymatic cage cleaners I find the easiest to use!