• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best distraction techniques

MisterGrey

Moving in
Hi

Does anyone have any good distraction techniques?

I posted on the emergency forum regarding mister Grey's claw and how he's now mutilating it. Been distracting him with tit bits of fruit and favourite foods and soft cloth toys, YouTube videos of other birds talking etc but due to him needing constant monitoring I'm wondering if there are any good distraction techniques to stop him riving off his scab.

Any tips would be much appreciated thnx

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You will probably need to collar him for now. Once fixated on it, the mutilating will become a habit and very hard to stop. Not to mention the damage he can do to himself. Has the vet given pain meds, or anything to calm/relax him? I can't remember if you mentioned that in your other thread.

MisterGrey

Moving in
Many thanks for your reply.

No they are reluctant to give him anything to calm or relax him. The vet thinks it's more habit now (said it's like a child picking a scanned knee) and said he doesn't show signs of pain but personally I think it must be niggling him.
He leaves it alone whilst he's eating and chatting and stuff but then it's like he remembers it there? Them nibbles as he's cleaning his claws and bites off the scab.
I will contact the vet again and ask for a collar to be fitted. Better safe than sorry and I'm Willing to try anything to help him.