• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best cage for 2024

Cannabis E

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, this is my first time posting. This is a great community you have here and I'm excited to hear your thoughts on a question I have.

I am looking for a new cage. I have some special needs and things I want in a cage, and while I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, I thought maybe we should have a fresh question about this topic for 2024. So here goes!

I am capable of spending up to $400, but $300 would make me a lot less anxious.

I have a goffins cockatoo. We think he's about 13 or 14 years old, but I've had him for 10.

His current set up is a smaller, rolling tower cage. It has a perch on the top with a ladder. It has a swinging door with a steel latch. The total height is about 6 feet. It's too small for this bird, but he is never locked inside. However, due to his recent antics, he may need to be locked inside some of the time in his new cage. So I will need to go bigger than what he has.

I do not use seed catchers. They do not work in my 27 years of parrot experience. If a cage has them thays fine, I just wont install them do have to have a grate, because my bird likes to forage through his poop.

Other than that, I don't have a lot of special things I'm looking for in a cage. Just the usual requests (ie. easy to clean). I'm open to powder coated or another material (he has powder coated now and honestly it's very hard to clean).

If you have suggestions on what might work, that would be great. I've looked online but am just not sure what to get. I'm so excited to hear your suggestions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You may be best to list your country... what is available in the US or UK is not the same as what is available in my country.

Cannabis E

I ended up going with an a&e 32''x21''x61'' Elegant Flight Cage. I got it 50% off from my local bird shop. Very happy with it

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1: I know you already found one, but I always like to recommend the one I have because I love it, haha - but it’s only good if you’re cockatoo is not a bar tester. The bars are thin for a 'too, but I've been quite lucky with mine.

Cannabis E

You may be best to list your country... what is available in the US or UK is not the same as what is available in my country.
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am in the US. Xoetix, that is a great cage. Very spacious. The one I got also has a thinner gauge wire and there was some bird-shop speculation that it was too thin for a too, but honestly I do not think it will be an issue. Can he bend it? Probably, but I've never seen him try. I don't think he could bend it to the point of a successful escape.

For the record, the bird absolutely loved the cage I got. He flew to it on his own volition mere seconds after I screwed it together (which was very easy to do btw). He then walked around to inspect every aspect of the cage. We may add a ladder system of some sort on top. But bottom line, joy.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am in the US. Xoetix, that is a great cage. Very spacious. The one I got also has a thinner gauge wire and there was some bird-shop speculation that it was too thin for a too, but honestly I do not think it will be an issue. Can he bend it? Probably, but I've never seen him try. I don't think he could bend it to the point of a successful escape.

For the record, the bird absolutely loved the cage I got. He flew to it on his own volition mere seconds after I screwed it together (which was very easy to do btw). He then walked around to inspect every aspect of the cage. We may add a ladder system of some sort on top. But bottom line, joy.
Yeah, I've got a Sulphur crested and this cage would not be ideal for one that is a bar biter - thankfully Isadora isn't, but I also keep her stocked on chewable stuff lol.

it really is a great cage, and I cannot recommend it enough. I have plans to get the extension as well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
21 inches is too small for a goffin. A cage should be at least 1 1/2 times their wing span. Height is less important than width. I would consider getting larger when you can.