• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best brush for shelties

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ruby's undercoat is really coming in along with her adult fur. This is extremely cute. I'm currently using a pin brush, a soft bristle brush & a wide tooth comb, but these aren't the most efficient for the fine fur behind her ears. I know several members on here have/had shelties. What brush did you use? :dog3:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need a slicker brush. I had older slicker brushes that wore out after 30+ years. Sadly the company/brand is no longer available, so I bought a couple different brands. I like this one best: Only Natural Pet Slicker Brush with Bamboo Handle for Dogs

It has a wood handle/base & a rubber grip & is easy on the hands. It's a medium sized brush. Google: "Only Natural Pet Slicker Brush" to see where you can get it in your area. I do know aside from the company site Petsmart & Amazon both sell it. I prefer a flat slicker brush to a curved slicker brush. To clean it just use a comb, lay flat at the base of pins & lift the hair out.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you! Just checked & it's in store at Petsmart, so I'll get one. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If you can locate the hard cover book Sheltie Talk (orange cover) get it. Best book of all time any sheltie owner should have.

Slicker brushes are good for that after bath/blow dry finishing brush.

Line brushing if your dog allows to be brushed lying down. Pin brush, slicker, ferminator or rake type brushes are very good.

Warm baths loosen undercoat. A heavily coated sheltie will blow that under coat and may need a groomer. A dog dryer is the best to remove this hair when wet as you dry with the hose as you brush, it will remove all of that loose hair.

Behind ears, elbows and potty area will matt if not brushed regularly. Brushing with a grooming spray helps hair from breaking. Stunning breed when properly groomed with full coats.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I use several different brushes but this is my favorite if you can find one in the U.S.

IMG_20210409_130642.jpg

Here is a cheaper alternative that I think works great too.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I will try to hunt down this brush. Is it made in England?

I did manage to procure a copy of the orange "Sheltie Talk" book in good condition & the slicker brush Toy recommended, which helped immensely with the undercoat.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'm not too sure for shelties, but apparently 'Furminator' is a good brand?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I heard it cuts fur, so I've never used one. I don't want to thin her coat, just keep it brushed & looking nice. :)

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I will try to hunt down this brush. Is it made in England?

I did manage to procure a copy of the orange "Sheltie Talk" book in good condition & the slicker brush Toy recommended, which helped immensely with the undercoat.
The Mason Pearson Brush is from London England, here is their website.

I use a single row wide tooth rake for the undercoat. I can take a picture of it for you tomorrow if you like. I wasn't a fan of the slicker brush it doesn't work nearly as well as my Mason Pearson Brush or the knock off version. The long nylon teeth go down into their coat and raise up the loose hairs and the boar bristles grab it and hold on so it ends up in the brush. We brush morning and evening outside and we still have dog hair in the house! I would hate to think how bad it would be if we didn't brush twice a day!

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Here is the bulk of the sheltie grooming tools. The ones I like vs the ones that I didn't find very useful.
The ones I use all the time. Plain scissors for cutting out mats and for trimming. Thinning shears for thinning out the butt fluff and I also use the thinning shears for keeping their trims more natural looking. Wide tooth comb, a small knock off of the Mason Pearson brush and last the single row rake.
brush1.jpg

Tools that I bought that didn't work for us. The big paddle brush on the end was a nice brush and I will likely clean it up and keep it for myself. I just found it to big for my little girl and while it would be fine for Cameron's back the smaller one works better for everything else. The little rake on the end didn't do anything except tear out hair!
brush 2.jpg

I don't wet brush my dogs, I don't wet brush my own hair either. If they are tangled or have knots then I grab one of these.
detangler.jpg

A few of the books that I have.
sheltie books.jpg

I would love to see a picture of your sheltie :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you! I'll post an updated one later today when she's been brushed. I dry brush too. I don't understand all this wet brushing talk. Sounds like I need thinning shears. My poor pup's hind end looks a little extreme...

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here are so photos from today. She's unimpressed with grooming, sit-stays & her new coat. I think she looks adorable in it though. :heart: And with the windchill it was -14C. She'll be 9 months old this week.

Ruby 1.JPG

Ruby 2.JPG

Ruby 3.JPG

Ruby 4.JPG

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Here are so photos from today. She's unimpressed with grooming, sit-stays & her new coat. I think she looks adorable in it though. :heart: And with the windchill it was -14C. She'll be 9 months old this week.

View attachment 417546

View attachment 417548

View attachment 417550

View attachment 417547
She is lovely! I love her little coat it is so cute and she looks adorable with it on! What a lovely little lady you have, such a sweet face. How big is she, how much does she weigh?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Oh my heart! Your little girl looks so much like the one I had, complete with the ears always on alert! :heart:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you, everyone!

She really is growing up fast. It's unbelievable. She'll always be my pup no matter how big or old she gets. :)

Her last weigh in was about a month ago, for her wormer. She was 11 pounds. People say she's filled out a bit more, so maybe she's nearing 12 now. She'll be under the standard (15-25 lbs for non-sheltie people). I knew that when I bought her. Obviously, her breeder aims for the standard, but overs and unders happen.

LOL! Her ears were set at a pup, but when I accidentally dropped her favourite donut toy as a wee thing she leapt out of my arms & landed chin on the ground with her front legs pointing the other way. Rather than x-ray such a young dog, the emergency vet painstakingly checked her bones by hand, so they removed the ear glue. I like the uppy eared look myself!

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Thank you, everyone!

She really is growing up fast. It's unbelievable. She'll always be my pup no matter how big or old she gets. :)

Her last weigh in was about a month ago, for her wormer. She was 11 pounds. People say she's filled out a bit more, so maybe she's nearing 12 now. She'll be under the standard (15-25 lbs for non-sheltie people). I knew that when I bought her. Obviously, her breeder aims for the standard, but overs and unders happen.

LOL! Her ears were set at a pup, but when I accidentally dropped her favourite donut toy as a wee thing she leapt out of my arms & landed chin on the ground with her front legs pointing the other way. Rather than x-ray such a young dog, the emergency vet painstakingly checked her bones by hand, so they removed the ear glue. I like the uppy eared look myself!
She's a little doll for sure.

Piper weighed 3 lbs 7 ozs when I brought her home at 8 weeks old. At 2.5 years old she weighed 16 lbs 4 ozs then we got her fixed and she started putting on weight right away. She weighs between 18 -19 lbs now. Cameron is pulling in those rough collie genes for sure because he just turned a year old in Oct and he is already close to 30 lbs!

The tipped ears are cute on the show dogs but I like the ears up too :)