• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Belly Baldness Zebra Finch

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Woke up this morning and after doing the morning routine I was watching the finches. Peppy was bathing and at first I thought he was just wet, though it looked odd. As I watched him I realised it wasn't just bathing. He is missing all of his feathers from his belly area. There is even feather loss on either side of his keel. I am a bit confused, he was fine yesterday. I think it may be from stress, maybe fireworks? Or the neighbors many parties and bonfires? -I close the windows in an attempt to reduce smoke...

Meanwhile Zippy seems perfectly normal. His feathers look stunning. The two guys don't fight and rarely squabble. They are usually lovingly preening for several minutes a day.

He was not happy about the camera, but I thought it best to try for a picture. PXL_20210101_230039663.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Did he have pin feathers there? I’ve had them yank the feathers out from that area. Stress could definitely cause it.

It’s probably not the other bird.
There seem to be signs of new pins. I offered some of the insect meal today, hopefully a little boost will help him regenerate them. :(

He was singing today and bathing, generally his regular old self. So if it was stress induced at least he hasn't lost his song. -Fingers crossed!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
We are heading out to the vet in a few minutes. Brisbane has just gone back into lock down, but luckily this is consider an essential service. It means I will stay in the car and they will take him into the appointment and back to the car. This is bonkers. I, of course, am going to be super anxious. I decided to pack the heavy duty carrier, because now I need to trust other people to carry them outside and the normal carrier I use for the finches is crushable if you know what I mean- like a fabric one.

donutfinch

Moving in
Real Name
j
Woke up this morning and after doing the morning routine I was watching the finches. Peppy was bathing and at first I thought he was just wet, though it looked odd. As I watched him I realised it wasn't just bathing. He is missing all of his feathers from his belly area. There is even feather loss on either side of his keel. I am a bit confused, he was fine yesterday. I think it may be from stress, maybe fireworks? Or the neighbors many parties and bonfires? -I close the windows in an attempt to reduce smoke...

Meanwhile Zippy seems perfectly normal. His feathers look stunning. The two guys don't fight and rarely squabble. They are usually lovingly preening for several minutes a day.

He was not happy about the camera, but I thought it best to try for a picture. View attachment 368219
it could be low vitamin D?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
it could be low vitamin D?
At the vets now, waiting in the car, but hopefully I know soon enough.

They do get access to daylight so I would be surprised if it were vitamin D, though it is a good suggestion. Thanks!

Zippy is perfectly normal and they have the same diet and love together. I hope it is all ok! Will keep posted.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
At the vets now, waiting in the car, but hopefully I know soon enough.

They do get access to daylight so I would be surprised if it were vitamin D, though it is a good suggestion. Thanks!

Zippy is perfectly normal and they have the same diet and love together. I hope it is all ok! Will keep posted.
:fingerscrossed:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok so it was a two pronged issue

It is a fungal infection. The vet believes it is probably from before I got the birds. They can harbour it for a long time. She told me likely the stress from fireworks exasperated the issue and Peppy had a flare up, causing discomfort and he picked his feathers out.

We have a 1 month long anti fungal treatment plan starting tomorrow morning.

Poor little guy. My sensitive little Peppy. Hearts out to him. He was 2 grams lighter than Zippy :(

P.s. the parrots shouldn't have it since they don't share food or water. Their annual exam is coming up and they will be checked.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
He looks so much better already! :cheer:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What a difference! We all feel better for you. What is the medication called?