• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Being able to "pet" Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
On the other forum I posted a video of my trying to work on touching Diego. (I've had him 3+ years) He loves me, but he is a hands off bird.

Kind people gave me the idea of using a closed fist near his face, so I have been working on that. Let me tell you, the first time that big old tounge came out and ran all over my hand I was sweating. :omg:
Well, we have worked up to where I can actually PET him. I so wish I could have taken a picture last night. He put his foot up to his face and had one of his toes all the way in his mouth and his eyes closed while I preened his head. *melt* :heart::heart:

I won't say he is trustworthy, because he still loves drama. And a good swipe unexpectedly is great drama for him. :hehe: He has such an attitude with my husband it's hysterical. The other night DH was standing near his stand and Diego looked at him and said "WHAT?" in a totally snotty tone as if to say "What are YOU looking at?"

:rofl::rofl:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
that is fantastic news thanks for sharing

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you, Debbie. :dancing:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I just do it at random times when he is out. While he is on one of his stands I will walk up and talk to him and do it. Or if I am holding him on one arm, I will use my other hand and put my closed fist near his face. Usually, I use my closed fist to rub his beak and if he accepts that, I can go onto touching his head.

He is not always accepting of touching. And I seldom use treats to reward him, Just my voice. I find treats break the flow of things. And he loves the interaction of my voice.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Maybe I will start doing that with Kiwi

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
aww what wonderful news! I know that feeling :)

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Oh I have to share what the bugger did to me the other night. He was on his boing in the bird room. I wanted to rehang a toy he had unscrewed the quicklink and thrown to the ground. So I was starting to hang it and he swiped at my stomach and yelled OW! right as he did it. Booger!!! (He missed because I knew just how far away to stay.)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Wow what a little bugger!!! I am glad you're making such great progress with him, though. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I have to share what the bugger did to me the other night. He was on his boing in the bird room. I wanted to rehang a toy he had unscrewed the quicklink and thrown to the ground. So I was starting to hang it and he swiped at my stomach and yelled OW! right as he did it. Booger!!! (He missed because I knew just how far away to stay.)
Lol, macaws, whattayagonnado? Elvis will go to pinch my arm or leg and say "OW OW!!" Luckily, though, she doesn't bite; she only aims to make one of those pretty little purple dots on my skin :rolleyes: I know Diego has more weapons in his arsenal than the purple dot. But it seems like he's pretty invested in his relationship with you, so I wonder if he'd even bite you?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
On the other forum I posted a video of my trying to work on touching Diego. (I've had him 3+ years) He loves me, but he is a hands off bird.

Kind people gave me the idea of using a closed fist near his face, so I have been working on that. Let me tell you, the first time that big old tounge came out and ran all over my hand I was sweating. :omg:
Well, we have worked up to where I can actually PET him. I so wish I could have taken a picture last night. He put his foot up to his face and had one of his toes all the way in his mouth and his eyes closed while I preened his head. *melt* :heart::heart:

I won't say he is trustworthy, because he still loves drama. And a good swipe unexpectedly is great drama for him. :hehe: He has such an attitude with my husband it's hysterical. The other night DH was standing near his stand and Diego looked at him and said "WHAT?" in a totally snotty tone as if to say "What are YOU looking at?"

:rofl::rofl:
Congratulations. That is awesome!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am glad you are making progress. He sure sounds like a little stinker

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am glad you are making progress. He sure sounds like a little stinker
Make that BIG stinker!

My biggest struggle with him is toys. He is so destructive. And smart! He snaps the metal dog chain loops. He unscrews the big quick links. He snaps the small ones. He sometimes suffers from lack of toys because I struggle to find safe items that are fun for him.

I gave him a Bea Box. He has never touched it. I need to hook it on the side of the cage at perch level. He does NOT like the floor of his cage.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Diego was Ray's first "hero" when he heard him "Quack Quack Quack" on YouTube. I'm so glad you making progress - preening those big ol heads is a pleasure for both participants!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
That's just wonderful! :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a awesome news....right ont!!!

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Congrats on the break through!

I have to say Kiwi (my severe) Will lunge and say OW at the same time to...she is a snot LOL

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Debbie, I know that progress made you feel good. :laughing12::D

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I love it your voice is a treat in itself. Diego does have a soft, sweet side, he just doesn't want to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.