• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Be careful when selecting wood perches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
Daisy My Caique Rubs her head on things often and not thinking about this, i put this perch in her cage that has siemi peely wood. I think she rubbed her head on the perch and piece of wood got lodged under her eye ring.

This morning when i took her out i could see something brown up at the top of the eye and she was having a hard time keeping the eye open. Later on i was holding her and a flat piece of wood came out of her eye. We did another eye wash and it looks better, i am going to continue with the eye washes until i can see a vet on Monday, if need be.

I am shocked that this happened and just wanted to warn other owners not to use perches with wood that splints off easily. I am so thankful she was not blinded. Trouble really does find caiques! ( I am sorry if you are seeing this on more than one bird forum, but i wanted to make bird owners aware as i think this is pretty important.)

Last edited:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
thank you for posting this I just made play station for my Conures and I checked doubled check if wood was safe for them . BUT even if wood is safe you have to make sure no splinters of wood are showing .

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! How scary! Just goes to show anything can be dangerous! I hope she is OK and continues to heal. Glad you are taking her to the vets.:hug8:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
WOW SCARY!
Glad she is okay, and i Hope she continues to get better!

What kind of wood is it??? Maybe a picture??

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh, so sorry that happened to her! Thanks for posting!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank You for the warning Erin-My Cakes also Love to rub on perch's,so I will be extra careful:hug8:

Lauren

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thank you for posting this!!

Skittles just went through a swollen eye and the fact that your caique had a piece of wood near/in it makes my heart stop <3

I know she'll make a full recovery!!!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Thank you so much for posting this Erin--I'm sure Daisy will make a complete recovery--maybe ask the vet for an antibiotic just in case. Please keep us updated :smileflower:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that is scary, especially because I purposely purchase grapevine with the bark still on it so that Jingo can destroy it. Hope Daisy heals up quickly! :hug8:

Sierra_N_Fids

I just brought the perch upstairs to take a pic but my camera is dead ugh, I will have to try to get a pic later. I am not sure but i think might be apple wood, for the most part when the wood peeled off it came off smooth, but i know this has to be the perch because the other wood one in her cage is not same color and everything else is colored wood, that is light in color.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very interesting warning. Sorry it happened, but glad she's okay!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Glad her eye healed nice and quickly! :) I think this is a classic case of weighing risk versus benefit for everyone's individual situation. Branches that still have the bark on are highly enriching for birds to chew on, and the rougher surface is good for keeping nails worn down. This is the first instance i've heard of a bird getting a piece of bark in their eye. So for me, given the large benefit and small risk, i'd keep offering wood with bark on. Something for everyone to decide for themselves of course! :)

Sierra_N_Fids

Yes, i agree it is all in your birds playing style. The perch was used by my Amazon and looked new until Daisy used it for a week. The wood perch that i offered to my Amazon was safe for her, but for my Caique she rubs her head and body things, so for a safer alternative i will offer toys that are hanging so she can still peel wood. I have never seen her rub on a hanging toy unless it's soft. With Caique's you really have to watch them and take preventive measures because they just have strange things happen.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I'm so glad she's okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.