• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bath fabric

RatKave

Strolling the yard
I am looking for a small fabric price to collect spilled water from my birds bath. What fabric can I use that won't catch toenails and will absorb water? They will be walking on it, won't be chewing it and it won't be in the cage all the time. They are canaries.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Unsure if you still need this..But if so, I used to use a seagrass mat with my canaries. Its safe if they bite it and shouldn't catch their nails<3

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I am looking for a small fabric price to collect spilled water from my birds bath. What fabric can I use that won't catch toenails and will absorb water? They will be walking on it, won't be chewing it and it won't be in the cage all the time. They are canaries.
I would personally just put tissue paper there. If your canaries don't seem to chew it or anything i don't see why not.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have used cotton kitchen towels in the birds cages for short periods of time. They don't have the loops like terry cloth, and they absorb water. You could buy one, but it down to the size needed, and have several you could swap out and wash as needed.

Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth, lol!

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Okay thank you! I was concerned abut cotton catching nails an it they find a loose thread or pull a loose thread and eat it. I tried tissue paper/napkins and it just gets so wet it tears and then I can't pick it up.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I didn't know that!! Thank you OOOO:
No worries! with all the recent rain here my house got kind of damp, I was going to refill the paper in the seagrass toys and it was COVERED in mould!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want something even smoother, you could try a pillow case. I use those in the bottom of their travel cages for extra cushion in case they fall if the car goes over a bump, etc. I cover the pillow cases with paper towel because they don't chew on the paper towel while traveling--they would if it were in their cages at home.

Just a two pack of pillow cases would let you swap them out as needed.

Also, if their nails are very sharp, there is a possibility of them getting stuck a bit on any fabric.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Okay. I'll look into them. Their nails are sharp, but I have a few sandpaper percher in the cage that they use, so they are not really sharp. Is there a way to dull/ shorten them more without cutting them? I've cut their nails before, but I get scared and don't end up cutting at the right angle.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have safety pedi-perches in all my cages, and it does an 'ok' job, but not great. I only have the vet techs trim their nails because I'm afraid of cutting the quick. My budgies have the tiniest and sharpest nails, and I've never had a problem with one of them getting caught in the fabric of a pillow case. With everything you put in the cage, though, you will have to just keep an eye on how they interact with it.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Okay thank you. I don't want to many abrasive surfaces for them, but all the other perches are natural. I'll try pillow cases.