• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Basking Turkey and Black Vultures.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a lot of luck yesterday pic wise but especially when it came to vultures. We were driving down a semi country road and I just happened to look up at a tower as we passed and much to my shock it was chock full of Vultures there had to have been at least 20 and it was a mix of Turkey and Black Vultures just hanging out side by side with no worries.
They were very happy to obliged in my photo taking and I was positively spoiled for choice on subjects and I swear they were doing exciting poses for me on purpose and I couldn't have been more thankful.
DSC02518.jpg DSC02553.jpg DSC02606.jpg DSC02642.jpg DSC02573.jpg DSC02586.jpg DSC02645.jpg DSC02652.jpg DSC02671.jpg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awesome!!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Awesome pics!! I'm a big fan of vultures and other scavenger birds! They get too much hate from people who think they are scary or gross but they are beautiful to me. :heart:

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
What kind of camera did you use? Cause these are pretty good if it's just your phone!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome pics!! I'm a big fan of vultures and other scavenger birds! They get too much hate from people who think they are scary or gross but they are beautiful to me. :heart:
What kind of camera did you use? Cause these are pretty good if it's just your phone!
Thanks so much! I also adore Vultures and get such a thrill when I come across them.
Ha I wish my phone could take pics these good! It's a Sony their most basic body I can't think of the exact name at the moment my apologies but I adore it.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thanks so much! I also adore Vultures and get such a thrill when I come across them.
Ha I wish my phone could take pics these good! It's a Sony their most basic body I can't think of the exact name at the moment my apologies but I adore it.
Wonderful! I need to start carrying a camera with me in case I see some cool birds or animals. The few times I've seen rare birds I've only had my phone with me so the pics end up so bad that you can barely tell what it's a photo of! :roflmao: I've got a Canon EOS T7 that I should really get more daily use out of!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful! I need to start carrying a camera with me in case I see some cool birds or animals. The few times I've seen rare birds I've only had my phone with me so the pics end up so bad that you can barely tell what it's a photo of! :roflmao: I've got a Canon EOS T7 that I should really get more daily use out of!
I pretty much don't go anywhere without my camera cause you just never know.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Awesome as always April! Pretty chill subjects also. I just see them flying around in the sky. If I try to catch them they laugh at the 250mm f/5.6. :roflmao:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Love your photos! I too am a huge Vulture fan.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I too love vultures. I live in a small town ,in an area with lots of fields, woods, and wetlands. Every morning and evening from early spring to late fall. Lots of vultures hang out on our town water tower. I keep forgetting to take a real camera with me, so I haven't been able to get good pictures. There are often 50 or more vultures sunning themselves. 20160925_075210.jpg
Here is a picture from 2 or 3 years ago. I count 41 visible. There are also more on the back side and on lower levels.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
This is the lower level on a less crowded day.
20220719_083914.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome as always April! Pretty chill subjects also. I just see them flying around in the sky. If I try to catch them they laugh at the 250mm f/5.6. :roflmao:
Thank you! Yes I was quite happy that they weren't bothered by me at all. Quite a difference from my beloved Hawks who almost always bolt from me when I'm still super far away these guys I was within 10 feet of the tower though they were quite high and they still just perched there pretty as you please for the 15 mins or so I was photographing them.
I've gotten a few good sky shots but definitely these have been some of my best ever.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love your photos! I too am a huge Vulture fan.
Thank you! I just don't see how people can't love them they are adorable and so good for the environment.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I too love vultures. I live in a small town ,in an area with lots of fields, woods, and wetlands. Every morning and evening from early spring to late fall. Lots of vultures hang out on our town water tower. I keep forgetting to take a real camera with me, so I haven't been able to get good pictures. There are often 50 or more vultures sunning themselves. View attachment 428429
Here is a picture from 2 or 3 years ago. I count 41 visible. There are also more on the back side and on lower levels.
This is the lower level on a less crowded day.
View attachment 428430
Wowza! I thought my tower had a ton that's super cool! I'd love to see that every day. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Some time this summer, I plan to take my real camera and get better pictures.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I had a lot of luck yesterday pic wise but especially when it came to vultures. We were driving down a semi country road and I just happened to look up at a tower as we passed and much to my shock it was chock full of Vultures there had to have been at least 20 and it was a mix of Turkey and Black Vultures just hanging out side by side with no worries.
They were very happy to obliged in my photo taking and I was positively spoiled for choice on subjects and I swear they were doing exciting poses for me on purpose and I couldn't have been more thankful.
View attachment 428384 View attachment 428385 View attachment 428386 View attachment 428387 View attachment 428388 View attachment 428390 View attachment 428391 View attachment 428392 View attachment 428393
Solar charging!