• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Basics of Caring for an African Grey?

NelsonB

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nelson Brown
Hello!

Lately I've been considering getting an African Grey parrot sometime in the near-ish future. At the moment it wouldn't work well with my living situation, but I do plan to move soon. I've been doing some research into them, and from what I've been able to find, it seems like this type of parrot would be the perfect companion for me! I work from home, and I'd be more than happy to have a little friend sitting on my shoulder or playing with toys on my desk while I work. I'm a very routine-oriented person, but I am forgetful, so honestly having a bird yell at me to do things at a certain time sounds both hilarious and genuinely helpful. However, I've never owned a bird before (and yes, I'm aware that a lot of people say that African Greys are not a good "starter" bird, but I've always been a "dive in head first" kind of person, and a more challenging bird is fine with me). I can't find much detailed information on how to care for them? I've had lots of pets over the years, from rats to cats and dogs, so I'm no stranger to hard work when it comes to looking after an animal, but I do need to know just what I'm getting into. Can anyone here tell me, in as much detail as possible, what my day would look like with an African Grey parrot? Cleaning its cage, feeding, training/playtime, etc. Or could someone please point me to where I can find this information? I've been googling like crazy but all I can find are short bits about specifics with their diet and such - very helpful, but I need to know the basics first.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:hiya: Welcome to the Avenue

You’ll get very honest first hand accounts here, we have quite a few members with African greys.
I’m looking forward to following your bird journey :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll give it a go.....

CAG's (Congo African Grey) are highly intelligent birds. They need stimulation, so lots of toys & things to do. Our CAG likes toys with acrylic parts & foot toys. She likes to rip up junk mail too. You can not teach a parrot not to chew something, as its in their nature to do so. If they can get their beak on it they assume it's theirs & they will chew it. They can learn any sound on the planet. They can learn colors, & associate a phrase with a sound or an action. Mine does a whistle tune when I say "call the birdies", which is me calling my Purple Martin colony, & she also says "call the birdies" & then does the tune. They can also learn hand signals. I flip my hand & she goes in her cage. You need to watch what you say around parrots, as they can repeat anything. We actually got rid of HBO & don't watch shows on TV with bad language.

CAG's are in general not a hands on or cuddly bird. They are on the defensive all the time. They are not good climbers like say a Cockatoo or a Macaw is. Ours will not climb off her cage, but will flap off it to the floor. They tend to be more straight fliers than say hovering. They are heavy bodied, so if you chose to wing clip only the first 3-4 flights should be removed from each wing. If clipped to much it will drop like a rock, possibly causing injury. The bird needs to be able to glide to the floor, so it doesn't crash & get hurt.

Keep in mind all parrots bite at some point. It's the only defense they have & if they get scared or overly hormonal they can bite. So expect to be bitten at some point. Many of us have learned how to avoid the bite by learning their body language & avoiding the bite by redirecting their attention or preventing it in the first place. With our CAG I have learned I need to tell her why I am approaching her, reaching for her food dishes, etc. As long as she knows what & why I'm doing it she is fine. They can sense your adrenal level & will act accordingly. If you are stressed it's best to avoid the bird until you are no longer stressed.

Some like to stick to a very strict routine, however I do not. Life changes for all of us including them. We try to feed within a 2 hour time space daily, but never at the exact time daily. If we have to be away from home during their feeding time we feed early, before we leave. Some feed twice a day others once a day, usually in the late day to early evening hours. They should have food & water in their dishes at all times.

Mornings parrots often welcome the world by calling & making any of their sounds. They eat, play & nap throughout the day. Parrots are flock birds & love to share meals with you. CAG's require a higher calcium diet. Dairy is not good for parrots, as they can't digest it, so fresh veggies & pellets higher in calcium are what is suggested. They will often do their sounds late day as night draws near. You need to avoid reacting to any screaming, as it promotes more screaming. Ignore the bird, leave the room. Only react to positive sounds like talking, whistling, etc.

They require 10-12 hours sleep in a dark quiet room if possible. Outside sun is a must if at all possible. They need direct sun just like we do. Some clip so they can take them outside in warm weather, others keep them fully flighted & use a harness. They can also get overheated if left in the hot sun too long.

The cage should be big enough the bird can stretch it's wings fully out in all directions. Paper line the tray & change it out daily. Food & water dishes should be washed with soap & water daily to prevent bacteria. Cage washed down once a week. Keep in mind the cage is the birds safe place, so many do not like you reaching in the cage or cleaning it while they are in it. A play stand helps in these situations & also gives the bird a different place to play/etc. Teaching the bird to step up early is a must. Another thing is toweling. At some point they need to be towled to have a physical, treatment, etc. If they are taught toweling is OK & not a bad thing then it makes it much easier to handle them in certain situations. You make a game out of it, so they see it as fun & not a bad thing.

A weekly shower is suggested to rinse off the dust from their feathers & skin. CAG's are "powder birds", meaning they make a powder sort of like a talc, that they coat their feathers with. Some use misting bottles, others take them to the tub & use a hand held shower head. We have a stand perch I set in the tub & place my birds on it, so I can give them a good soaking rinse with the shower head. They take several hours to get fully dry, so showers should be early in the day. They should never be wet in the evening/bedtime, as they can get chilled, which can lead to illness.

A parrot is like having a 2 year old child the rest of your life. They live a long time. Medium to large parrots can live 65-100 years. One downside is going on vacation. They just can't be dropped off at a boarding place, as there are very few that board birds, but they just don't do well with change, as they bond to you as their mate. It's best to find someone to come into care for them while you are gone.

If you are planning to get a parrot search your area for a good avian vet, as you'll need one. Birds hide illness well & by the time you notice something is wrong they can be very sick. Some require regular beak & nail trims, which should be done by the avian vet. Yearly check ups & blood panels should be done.

Now having given you all the downsides of owning a parrot, they are great companions. They can talk, act silly, play & just love you.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Nelson! :starshower1:

Here are some more links:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would add a couple of things. First I want to empathize that CAGs and TAGs are both very susceptible to Atherosclerosis. For this reason alone never ever clip their wings. They need to fly for this reason and for their general mental and physical health. It may be somewhat troublesome to you, but it's the bird not you that counts. Keep their diet lean again to fight against heart disease and atherosclerosis.

Second, Greys seem to be more likely to contract Aspergillosis, a fungal infection with very high morbidity. I fought the disease with two birds for years and won, but it was expensive money wise and emotionally.

Long but thorough;

If you do get an AG, then you should never get a New World bird. African Greys along with cockatoos and cockateils are "Powder Down" birds. Part of their physiology is that their feathers break down into a fine powder as part of their grooming and feather health. This powder goes everywhere and gets into everything. When it gets into a New World bird's lungs, it eventually kills that bird.

Here is a chronicle, written by @BertAllen , about his experience raising a baby CAG named Tinker. Very good and lots of insight about raising a baby CAG (as well as any baby bird).

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'll toss in my two cents. Now I'm not trying to sound mean, I did get a chuckle out of your post. Letting a parrot sit on your shoulder is not a good idea, makes them think they are the boss and can easily reach an ear or eye for a nice chomp. Hmmm playing with toys on your desk? More like chewing up everything they can get their little beaks on and poop everywhere. I'm not trying to pop your bubble but a Grey can be a handful. They do need lots of attention, routine and cleaning. I think @Toy covered their care in great detail. Paco is my second large parrot, I had a wild caught Amazon for 25 years. Yes, he is more work however the rewards are ginormous. I encourage you follow our group here, I have made many friends that have helped me through my journey with Paco, (he is a 20 year old male CAG with a history of neglect) The rewards of having a Grey companion is great and with that comes a lot of responsibility. Learn about their behavior as parrots do hide illness and have an avian vet already set up before getting the bird. There is constant change of water, food, treats, cleaning, observing behavior even monitoring poo. Yep we watch that too for any change. Please keep posting here and let us know how things are going, we would love to be with you during this process. Welcome!!! Oh, and I would stay away from Face Book bird groups, too many inexperienced people. Some groups are ok, just beware.

:welcomeflag:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I had a CAG for a short time, and although she was a real cuddlebug, she was a CAG and they really need a lot of atention, both in general care but also mind stimulance, you’ll be having a 3 year old for the next.. well maybe at least 40 or 50 years if you’re lucky. You’ll be running around constanty, no more quiet nights on the couch no more spontainity. The care for your bird always comes first :)

its a huge responsibility :) but a rewarding one :)

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Everyone so far has given wonderful input!

I’d like to share some of my experience with our 8 year old CAG, Digby, because I think it is important to understand the complexity that is an African Grey.

We are Digby’s second home. In his first home, he was his dads’ #1 priority. Always had their full, undivided attention and spoiled rotten... until he wasn’t. They had a pretty gruesome breakup, and Digby was forgotten. When I got him (approx. 5 years ago) he was plucking and chewing feathers. To this day, he is an incredibly sensitive bird, susceptible to stress and anxiety. We have bouts of time where he lets feathers regrow and is seemingly calmer, and then out of nowhere he starts up again and we feel like we’re back at square one. We still fight this battle, with diet, with toys, with stimulation and attention, knowing that ultimately we may never get Digby to completely stop these behaviors.

I’ve heard countless stories like ours. Greys just seem overall more susceptible to plucking, mutilation and “mental issues” as a result of insufficient care or attention. They are SO smart, it’s unbelievable. I am in awe at what Digby shows us on a daily basis. But it can be their downfall - this intelligence requires constant stimulation, and they are very social creatures. And like many people will say, it is like having a permanent toddler. Very needy, entirely dependent on you. Forever!

This insight is not by any means me saying not to get an African Grey. We love our boy no matter what, we don’t regret him one bit, and our lives are better with him. I believe anybody with the drive, passion and commitment is capable of offering a good home for a bird. It’s just an all-too common but intense reality that many inexperienced or non-bird people are aware of.

I think you’re doing the exact right thing by researching online and interacting with other bird owners, I think you should continue this. Bird ownership is a huge (but rewarding!) undertaking.

Keep us updated on what your journey and what you decide to do and don’t ever hesitate to ask questions! Best of luck!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Really good advice so far. Here are my thoughts:

I adopted a 6-year-old CAG about 12 years ago. She came with a huge vocabulary and learned so much more, but only uses a few phrases regularly. You'll hear a CAG say something once and never again quite often.

She can be phobic of random things, like me carrying a large blanket through the room or a large package of toilet paper. This can spook her to jump and fly if she's out of her cage, but she's learned to sit still for the most part.

She came clipped but I let her grow out her feathers but she's never been a good flier. They're so heavy-bodied that they really need space to learn how to fly. It's hard for her to feel comfortable trying in my 1,200-square-foot home.

I'm lucky that she has never plucked, which my vet finds amazing given how often he sees self-mutilation in other greys.

I'm not huge on being overly strict with her schedule. I think that can be harmful in many ways. I think it's good for a bird to have some flexibility about their schedule, so they don't become overly dependent on it and flip out when things change, and life will cause things to change often and without notice. Along these lines, I also take vacations regularly and she has fared just fine with a sitter.

It's hard to get her to bathe. She hates spray bottles and prefers to bathe in her water bowl when the mood strikes.

A lot of attention and mental stimulation is required. She lives in a big corner cage in my living room so she's at the center of all activity. Foraging toys are very important.

Good luck.