• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bald patch on neck and pin feathers

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
So my parrot has been having a really tough molt for over a month I didn’t even know it could be so long. She’s been molting a bit at a time, first her tail feathers, then her back and now her face/neck. She’s been quite hormonal and as she put her head up (while asking for scratches) i realised she has a small bald spot along her neck, there are big pin feathers near the bald spot but why is it so bare?
Is this normal? You can’t notice it when her head is down only when she puts it up and you move her feathers up a bit. Her feathers are normal at the back of her neck, they’re only like this at the front of her neck.

IMG_7207.jpeg IMG_7208.jpeg IMG_7210.jpeg IMG_7212.jpeg IMG_7213.jpeg IMG_7216.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They are not densely feathered in all areas. Neck, under wings, along the keel bone are some places you will see very few feathers on most birds.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
They are not densely feathered in all areas. Neck, under wings, along the keel bone are some places you will see very few feathers on most birds.
Thank you for the reply! Phew that relieved a lot of stress!!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Looks normal I see pins in the neck area.
Molts can take time .