• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bailey Consistently *Jumps* every 10 seconds or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Not sure if it's a problem or regular baby macaw behavior. But probably around every 5-10 seconds my baby almost does the equivalent of a birdie hiccup. Both wings jolt up alittle bit, and he honks like a goose. Not while sleeping of course, but he did so at the breeders as well when I went to visit him.

I just want to see if anyone else has seen this, and am hoping he grows out of it.

If it's randomly a nervous disorder kind of like tourettes then I will unfortunately have to change my plans and clip his wings, I wouldn't want a nervous tick like that affecting him mid flight and potentially hurting him.

Any thoughts if this is just regular baby behavior? or perhaps signs of consistent nervious synaptic firing?

I know it's not being frightened as he will run across a football field if it meant getting to me or a family member to cuddle.

Regardless, He'll have a happy home for ever, just want to make sure he's healthy and good!

Thanks

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
A bob/wing flick and a chirp? How old is this bird? How many hand feedings a day?

Sounds like he's begging food to me, not a nervous tick. Do not clip his wings without seeing a vet first! Birds have to fledge to be well adjusted. I have one bird who never learned to fly as a baby and one that did. The difference is sad.

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
A bob/wing flick and a chirp? How old is this bird? How many hand feedings a day?

Sounds like he's begging food to me, not a nervous tick. Do not clip his wings without seeing a vet first! Birds have to fledge to be well adjusted. I have one bird who never learned to fly as a baby and one that did. The difference is sad.
Of course, he will definitely fledge no matter what.

To answer your question, he's two months old, down to three feedings a day. And he does this all day long Whether it's 10 minutes after feeding, or 10 minutes before his next so I was fairly sure I ruled out it being begging. But I suppose he could just have a voracious appetite!

I'm sure it is regular, I just don't want to make the mistake of letting it slip by just incase it were problematic!

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
That is a hunger sign in young macaws.

YouTube - Blue and Gold Macaw Hatch 8-5-2009
Yup, that looks like my bailey's situation exactly.

Thanks alot to the both of you :)

Only thing now is that, I consistently feed him til i Know his crop is healthily filled.

Do the babies not know when they're full? Or am I being too conservative with the feeding?

He's very energetic, with sporadic naps throughout the daytime, and Like I said, i'm filling his crop pretty well while making sure it doesn't beccome too engorged and hard.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
The baby will not realize right away that it is full. I have read it take 20 minutes for the food to reach the gizzard to trigger that "full" sensation.

This sounds like what Einstein did when he was younger also and I increased his intake. He will still twitch sometimes when he is tired also. Are you giving him anything other than formula feedings? He may be ready for some vegetables and fruits also between feedings.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Three feedings is not enough. At 2 months he's still an infant. It's imperative that he feels that his needs are being met or you will set him up with a lifetime of problems.

Ginger

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Eight weeks old is still very, very much a baby. Three feedings a day, while much more convenient for the humans is not enough for a baby macaw of that age!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes 3 feedings a day seems like not enough for that young of a B&G

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Okay fair enough, thank you for the info,

Just for the record I did not decide on my own three feedings was the right thing to do, that was just what the breeder had told me he had been fed for the past few days as he was just "taken down from 4 feedings a day"

So, with that said, convenience is not a factor for me, if he needs more food than that, he will get it. The only source of information at the time was my breeder so I just followed with what he told me!

I will slightly lower his feeding ammounts and add to the periodic feedings up to 4 again, and if he still exhibits the begging behavior I will up it more.

Or if anyone has experience with catalina's who could recommend the feeding schedule, that'd be even better, although I know the birds are very individualistic and have their own personalities.

Also, from what i've read(although sources contradict one another online and in text) that scarlets, green wings, and B&Gs all have different rates of maturity, so knowing the optimal feeding/maturity time for a hybrid doesn't seem as simple.

So any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want my baby being hungry :)

Thanks very much for everyones help thus far

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It's wonderful that you're trying to do the right thing by your new baby- most breeders are very reluctant to have new owners do the handfeeding on babies, and those that sell unweaned babies aren't always up to date on the newer information we have learned about parrot behavior. Aviculture is beginning to recognise that 'schedule feeding' and reducing feedings or feeding x amount at y time because they're z old doesn't work well for these intelligent birds and is so far removed from the way their parents would naturally feed them that it can cause long term behavior issues as they mature.

We're beginning to learn that feeding them when they ask actually reduces begging because they know that when they want it, they'll get it, so they don't have to beg all the time to try to make up for that sense of security. It also results in more confident young adults that are happy to try new foods because they want to, rather than being worried and stressed and clinging to the only thing they know. There are some great articles on abundance weaning out there, maybe someone here can post some links?

My baby budgie Luke, a species that 'weans by 6 weeks' according to the books and schedules, wanted an occasional feed until he was over two months old. It wasn't that he was starving or couldn't eat on his own, but he was anxious and wanted the comfort or just liked getting hand-fed. Eventually he decided he was done on his own time. It's not like an parrot parent would ever say, 'okay, you're x days old, I'll only feed you this much at this time.' Wild babies are seen getting fed occasionally by their parents well after 'weaning.'

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Glad I joined here, so many knowledgeable people here :highfive:

Very helpful for new bird owners.

Although, I had a senegal, but his hand feedings were nothing like this and he weaned himself within the first week or so after getting him home.

Anyways, thanks, I'll look into abundance weening and start scrapping what i've heard about scheduled feedings and try to more accurately reproduce and recreate a natural feeding environment (As accurate as possible without it coming from my mouth to his :lol:)

In other news, he's doing great, steps up on command, climbs everything in sight with super vision, and even raises and flaps his wings when we tell him to "be an eagle" :rofl:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Ohhh Matt, I thought I told you we like lots of pictures! We need to see new pics of that beautiful baby!

MatthewR

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
Ohhh Matt, I thought I told you we like lots of pictures! We need to see new pics of that beautiful baby!
lol, as soon as I can I will with a decent camera next time. Between Bailey care, Work, and being a full time student i've been pretty sleepless and with no extra time lol.

BUT, spring break starts friday at 12:35. So finally, I will be able to do the extra things without worrying about my best friend Calculus II :dance5:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oh Matt, It's o.k. whenever you have time, but I am trying to live vicariously threw you and that big baby. Whenever you get time, I will be looking for them. I figure if spring break starts at 12:35, by 12:45 I should have some pics..... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.