• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad night last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Poor Petrie was very scared in her cage last night :( She thrashed around climbing in circles and walking on the bottom over and over again. After about 30 minutes we let her out and she climbed to the play top and went to sleep there. I took a video earlier last night so you can see the extent of her plucking and also how scared she is :( She is trying though. She's terribly afraid of hands. She did come out and sit on a tv stand to eat a plate of food with us last night but as soon as it was over she climbed up to my shoulder and flapped her wings signaling she was ready to go back to her cage where she felt safer.

Anyhow here's the video:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
oh that poor precious baby. I hope in time she comes to trust and love all of you. :hug8: for taking her in and working with her

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Heather, IF this happens again...DON'T wait that long to let her out...two/three minutes at max if she is scared and running around the cage like that...she is trying to get away from something!
Being there and turning on lights, talking softly, and watching the bird is the first thing when frightened....if they don't calm down right away...then the next step is to remove from situation and clam them down away from cage....if they seem calm and want to go back to cage....GREAT! but again stay and talk for another few minutes and then softly walk away and leave a night light on....IF they are still uncomfortable in the cage, move to cage and leave a light on (dim if you can) but so it lights the whole room until they settle....sometimes you just might have to leave the light on all night depends on how bad the fright was for that time....
It really is one step at a time and learning about the bird and what they go through and how YOU can show security...:hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Well she would quiet down and then start back up again and then quiet down again. Then she'd start eating, lol! And then climb around again. Poor baby. I've just been leaving the cage door open when we're home and she comes out as she feels like it. I don't want her to feel like she's trapped :( Edited to add: We did turn on the lights many times and talked to her softly.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh, that poor little girl. I just want to protect her and calm her fears. Thank you for taking care of her.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw that is really sad :( I know she will come around in your home though :)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh, that poor little girl. I just want to protect her and calm her fears. Thank you for taking care of her.
I know! I wish I knew how to get into her little head and convince her that it's going to be alright :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Is there any way large bugs could be getting in her cage tray at night, or there are sounds{music...tv} at night that there aren't in the daytime? Is she being covered at night? Maybe car lights on a wall, or something that could be frightening her? Poor sweetheart. I hope you can figure a way to calm her fears. I have been working with Cochise and his fear of hands for six months now. We are not all the way there, but it's getting much better. I wish you the best.:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That wing shaking thing is the same thing Sheba does when she is afraid of something she hears.Usually lawn mowers and blowers, stuff like that.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Is there any way large bugs could be getting in her cage tray at night, or there are sounds{music...tv} at night that there aren't in the daytime? Is she being covered at night? Maybe car lights on a wall, or something that could be frightening her? Poor sweetheart. I hope you can figure a way to calm her fears. I have been working with Cochise and his fear of hands for six months now. We are not all the way there, but it's getting much better. I wish you the best.:hug8:
No she's in the bedroom with us. There are no noises except the fan that's always running. There are no lights going by as our bedroom faces the back yard and woods. As soon as we let her out of the cage she was fine. She went right up to the top and fell asleep within minutes. I think she's spent the past 18 years caged up and she doesn't want to anymore. Of course I have to have her in the cage for her own safety while we're at work but she'll be let out and left to stay out if she likes while we're home. She does go in and out of the cage freely for food and water so that's good.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
That wing shaking thing is the same thing Sheba does when she is afraid of something she hears.Usually lawn mowers and blowers, stuff like that.
She's like that most of the time when she's not eating or sleeping. I think she's just scared of the new surroundings. Even when she eats she's got one foot on the bowl and one foot on the side of the cage as if she needs to be ready to split at a moment's notice :(

At least she's not growling at us anymore. That was the first 6 hours or so when she got here. She tries to step up for my husband but is still scared to do so. She is fully flighted but when she has gotten scared and flapped she's only gone a few feet before dropping to the bed. With being a plucker the rescue doesn't want to clip her wings and give her another reason to chew. Yesterday though I didn't see any chewed feathers so that's good. The first day you could watch her pulling her new feathers right out of the follicle :(

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Oh the poor baby.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I know I am speaking to an experienced bird keeper and do not want to ask to many stupid questions about this poor bird, but what are her calcium levels like? Only asking because that is how Leroy acted somewhat when hers became low but not too low. She was fearful of things she had previously been OK with and not my baby at all. Once we addressed the situation with the broad spectrum lighting and the wellcooked chicken bones and red palm oil it righted itself. We had been feeding her the right diet but without that extra help her body was unable to convert it into the medium she needed.
Our Vet was not able to detect this, it was the help from Bonnie and Billie faye that helped Leroy on the road to health.
Leroy used to flap around and have night frights falling off her perch at night,distressing for her and us. This all ceased with the right help.
Good luck to you both and hope it all gets sorted very soon for the poor little girl. She is lovely by the way, that goes without saying! I just love the Greys. Thank goodness she has you to care for her now. God bless.:hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I know I am speaking to an experienced bird keeper and do not want to ask to many stupid questions about this poor bird, but what are her calcium levels like? Only asking because that is how Leroy acted somewhat when hers became low but not too low. She was fearful of things she had previously been OK with and not my baby at all. Once we addressed the situation with the broad spectrum lighting and the wellcooked chicken bones and red palm oil it righted itself. We had been feeding her the right diet but without that extra help her body was unable to convert it into the medium she needed.
Our Vet was not able to detect this, it was the help from Bonnie and Billie faye that helped Leroy on the road to health.
Leroy used to flap around and have night frights falling off her perch at night,distressing for her and us. This all ceased with the right help.
Good luck to you both and hope it all gets sorted very soon for the poor little girl. She is lovely by the way, that goes without saying! I just love the Greys. Thank goodness she has you to care for her now. God bless.:hug8:
I don't have her results yet, but I know she does lay eggs or has in the past so I suspect she could have a calcium problem. That being said, she's getting oatmeal with red palm oil in it every night before bed and now that we found out that she loves scrambled eggs so we'll make sure she has that every day with eggshells in it.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Have you tried Rescue Remedy?

From the Kitchen Physician
FLOWER ESSENCES AND REMEDIES are dilute extracts of various flowers. Bach Flower Remedies are the most popular and were developed in England by Dr. Edward Bach, who spent his life researching and developing the thirty-eight remedies that he discovered. These gentle essences work on the emotions of the body, and both animals and people respond well to their use. They can be used to treat various emotional problems as well as to modify behavioral problems. Each of the thirty-eight remedies treats a particular emotional state. For example, an essence called Holly is helpful for treating a parrot that tends to fight with other birds or is aggressive toward people. There are essences that help them to overcome fear or anxiety, to adjust to new circumstances such as moving to a new home, and to accept a new addition to the family. The most well known and useful essence is Rescue Remedy which is a combination of five of the Bach Flower Remedies.
Although flower remedies can help a lot with behavioral problems, such as biting and aggression, it is important to combine the remedies with training and behavior modification. Fear, a common problem in animals, also can be helped by suitable remedies. A combination of Rescue Remedy and the homeopathic remedy Aconite often will help in situations that involve fear, general lack of confidence, and any kind of stress. Parrots that have been rescued or abused often benefit from the use of appropriate flower essences, which can help to restore their confidence and trust in their caretakers and in the world around them.
To misquote Paracelsus, one of the most enlightened medical masters in Western history, "The parrot body is vapor materialized by sunshine, mixed with the life force of the stars." This is perhaps an esoteric way of saying that our birds are more than just a collection of feathers and body tissue. Eastern mystics discovered many millennia ago that matter is nothing more nor less than condensed, highly organized energy, but Western medicine has failed to translate this to health care. We are just beginning to acknowledge that alternative healing methods have a place in the treatment of human and animal problems. After all, what really counts is how well it works, not how well it accords with our preconceived ideas of medicine.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Heather, IF this happens again...DON'T wait that long to let her out...two/three minutes at max if she is scared and running around the cage like that...she is trying to get away from something!
Being there and turning on lights, talking softly, and watching the bird is the first thing when frightened....if they don't calm down right away...then the next step is to remove from situation and clam them down away from cage....if they seem calm and want to go back to cage....GREAT! but again stay and talk for another few minutes and then softly walk away and leave a night light on....IF they are still uncomfortable in the cage, move to cage and leave a light on (dim if you can) but so it lights the whole room until they settle....sometimes you just might have to leave the light on all night depends on how bad the fright was for that time....
It really is one step at a time and learning about the bird and what they go through and how YOU can show security...:hug8:
Very well said that is the exact advice I would have given :):hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.