• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad bird

Lyssafaith

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alyssa Bordoni
2 months ago I got 2 love birds, they were 38 days and I hand fed them and I played with the one that was supposed to be mine (the other one is my mothers) for two hours plus a day. For the most part the two birds are kept separate. We have noticed that the birds are complete opposites. Her bird is sweet and loves everyone and my bird is very mean. He bites you as hard as he can multiple times most of the time for no reason. We will just be hanging out in my room while I do school work and he'll start to attack my ears, chin, mouth, and basically anything in biting distance. I know he doesn't do it to be put away because he always wants to be out of the cage and wants to be on peoples shoulders. With time he's becoming even more mean and he bites down so hard that he even breaks the skin. I don't know what to do, I don't want to get rid of him because I really do like him a lot when he is nice to me but lately he is becoming more mean than nice and I don't know what to do. If you guys have any advice that would be great.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Firstly, how sure are you he is a he and not a she? In any case, it sounds like your little one is coming into his personality a bit more, and heading towards the first lot of hormones. I would keep a stick handy so you can get him to step up, and move him somewhere else when he jumps on your shoulders. Don't make a fuss, just move him away. You can move him to a play gym if you have one, or somewhere with toys or food that will distract him.

ergunm

Meeting neighbors
both my male and female lovebirds had a similar period when they were 3-4 months old. the difference is my hen was biting harder. now they are around 1 year old and I don't have this problem anymore.
I think around that age they try to discover things around and also strengthen their beaks by chewing/biting stuff. if he/she is on your shoulder the closest thing to chew is your ears, chin, mouth. initially chewing is light, but when beak gets stronger they try harder.

the best way is to give some other objects that he/she can chew. my hen loves to chew papers and wood-type and my male likes hard plastic and natural rubber. try some toys that he/she likes to chew and offer those when he/she wants to chew. this worked for me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know its difficult to have one that bites and one that is sweet. Just wait it out and see what maturity brings. Above all keep a biting stimulus far away (your arm or finger) and pay close attention to body language. What provokes a bite, what is you bird doing or showing you before the bite? Avian body language can be the tinniest little thing like eye pinning.

Flock Call - Biting isn't aggression

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
imho, there's really no such thing as a mean bird. Like people here have said, it really does sound like your little buddy is hormonal (and possibly even bored). I mean, think of it this way; he's a young teenager and he likes you. You're probably not giving him too much attention because you've got your nose in the books. He doesn't have the opposable thumbs required to pull on your pigtails, and he isn't quite sure how else to get your attention. So, he bites. Depending on how you react, he gets scared or excited and bites even harder.

Why not give him something to do while you do your homework? Set up a little foraging box and put tasty things like millet and seeds in there.

Also, how much sleep does your baby get? My birds used to be a little nesty when I was giving them about 8 hours of total darkness. Birds need about 10-12 hours a night, or they get real hormonal.