• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back from the vet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Everyone is healthy. He even took their weight. Everyone is exactly 90 grams, except Mika. She weighs 120 grams :eek: what a little porker! Well, i asked about separating them. He said they probably aren't related, then again, theres no way to tell. He recommends leaving the bonded pair together and give them a breeding box. :( She may already be holding eggs or getting ready to mate, and thats why her weight is 30 grams more than the rest. Also, to leave Jasper and Daisy together, since he gets along with her and her with him. And since he doesnt like ANY of the other birds, they are a good match. Charlie and Thorn are the ones seperated. I got confused with who was bonded to Mika. But i took these today. Yesterday i thought it was Thorn, but its Riley. They are too darn cute to seperate. :heart: :heart: :heart:
IMG_2946.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2944.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2943.jpg

Last edited:

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
good to hear they are all healthy! and maybe you'll have babies!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I'm not too excited at the idea... but its his suggestion.. i guess babies wouldn't be too bad.. there aren't many birds in shelter's here. tiel's are suprisingly hard to come by in my city. Most people here like dogs, cats, and if they want birds, they want parakeets.. if babies are sold, then i will ask that they agree to return the bird to me, instead of a shelter, so i know its taken care of. even if its years down the road. i am also going to be VERY strict on who they are sold to, to lessen the chance of them needing to be rehomed.

TypingParrot

I'm not too excited at the idea... but its his suggestion.. i guess babies wouldn't be too bad.. there aren't many birds in shelter's here. tiel's are suprisingly hard to come by in my city. Most people here like dogs, cats, and if they want birds, they want parakeets.. if babies are sold, then i will ask that they agree to return the bird to me, instead of a shelter, so i know its taken care of. even if its years down the road. i am also going to be VERY strict on who they are sold to, to lessen the chance of them needing to be rehomed.
Thats a good idea. Our cat is about to have kittens and there are so many in every shelter here. I'm refusing to free-to-good-home them because people have more respect for something they pay for. And then there is always members of the avenue that can help!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
yeppers. theres alot of cockatiels on our craigslist, but they are FAR away. the drive to get my 4 on saturday was 3.5 hour RT ride. which can be stressful on a bird if they arent used to cars. i think the other thing i will do is require that they are set up with my vet, have a recent reciept and picture of a PROPER cage, the diet i have them on, perches and at least one toy. I do NOT want them going to a bad home or shelter. theres a place called "lollipop farm" here, but they put down more animals than they keep. most of them are rodent types and birds that arent toos or bigger. the place is horrible. they mainly only keep dogs and kittens.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
:D How adorable! They look so cute! I would love to have pairs, and the girls are hot to trot, but there are WAY too many tiels, especially bonded pairs for sale here. What mutations are your pairs and what will they throw?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad to hear if they are healthy....I actually would keep the bonded pair in a cage of ther own and do not put a nest box in.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I don't think it is very responsible of your avian vet to suggest that you give them a nest box. Just because they are bonded does NOT mean they should reproduce or that it should be encouraged.

Before a bird is considered to be set up for breeding, the breeder should have all equipment ready in case something goes wrong. Brooder, handrearing formula, the experience to actually handrear, a way to feed the babies at all hours necessary, and the list goes on. It sounds like your avian vet might think it is as easy as just adding a nest box. Things do and often will go wrong.

Not to mention that finding homes for the first clutch of babies might not be so difficult... But what happens once they start producing 10-15 babies every 6 months for the rest of their lives?

I'm not trying to put you down at all. I commend you for getting all your new babies to an avian vet straight away to be checked out. In fact, that is something that not many people would do for a Cockatiel at all! So if you do decide to breed then just keep in mind that the future owners you want for your babies will be very, very difficult to find.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda

Thats a good idea. Our cat is about to have kittens and there are so many in every shelter here. I'm refusing to free-to-good-home them because people have more respect for something they pay for.
I understand this logic but I'm proof that it isn't true. Cuppy was free as was my new kitten, Bella, and I adore them and care for both just as much as if I had paid for them. If the person has a good heart and the willingness to follow through when necessary an up-front payment is not always what will ensure a good home.

For example, if I paid for Monty (which, if I adopt him, we will pay an adoption fee), it would not make me appreciate him more than Cupcake, who I didn't pay for. I would love them both as equally as possible and they would get the same care.

On a side note, please don't add more tiels to this world. The little guys really don't need more over-population, especially in this recession where rescues are taking in more and more birds. Mickaboo, for example, has stopped all intake because we don't have people adopting. 380+ birds in our care right now, and we were taking them in at an alarming rate. :(

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
well, now i HAVE to.. they attempted mating last night. Riley fell off, but i know its only a matter of time before they try again. I'm hoping my sleep schedule knocks them off their mating season. they wake when the sun rises and they get covered around 5-6.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear that they are all healthy.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is awesome they are all healthy :) They make a cute couple.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm glad to hear that they are all healthy! Cute pictures too!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I guess a congrats is in order. Do you know how to take care of the babies? I have no clue, just wondering.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Okay, just curious. i would be so scared for the first time. I raised a baby chinchilla from birth, her parents died.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
yeah, this will be the first, if i have to. i will be handling the babies, but only feeding the babies if i absolutely have to. And since neither of them are experienced parents, i will probably be doing some, if not all, the feedings.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Good luck, I wish you the best. It's hard at first but once you get the hang of it it's easy. At least it was that way with my chinchilla but I was paranoid.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
yeah, just once she starts laying, i will get all the baby food and stuff. I already have a homemade brooder and a heating pad. The heating pad i have for my back and the brooder was actually intended as a warm transport to and from the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.